1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Front USB ports cycling power

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by energyzer, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

Hello all, I hope someoene here can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a HP Pavilion desk top running XP Media. I have been having a problem with my USB ports on the front. At first, they didn't seem to want to recoginize anything. I uninstalled and reinstalled all the usb ports, and thought I had it working, (for the most part) Still had problems from time to time. Today, I plugged my mp3 player in, and the power would come on so I could open up my files, then they would lose power, then turn back on, then lose power. After messing around with it for a bit, I couldn't get it to power again. At that point, I gave up. It didn't matter what USB port I used, they all worked like this on the front. The ones on the back of the computer seem to be working fine, as my keyboard, mouse, and wireless air card is all plugged in back there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

When did this problem occur? Where they working properly at one point?

3. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

It started happening maybe......3 weeks ago. The onlything I know from about the time it started happening is my wife was taking pictures off of our camera and loading them on the computer. (not sure she was using the "safe to unplug device" function) I think she was just pulling the plug. Not sure that would have anything to do with it though.

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Ok well let's try a system restore first. Are you familiar with this? If not I will walk you through it. And are you positive the front USB ports functioned fine before this?

5. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

yeah, I've done a system restore before for other issues. I really appreciate your help. Unfortionatly, I'm not sitting at my computer with the issue at this time. :( I'm hoping to get some tips to try when I do get home later tonight. I could try a system restore. I did reinstall all the usb ports. Is there any chance that this is hardware? Thanks again for your help.

6. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    Have you checked in Device Manager to see if there's any information?

7. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

yes, it says that everything is functioning properly. Now, I will say that I looked at that when I was having trouble a few weeks ago. I did not look at that today. At that time, I would plug in a device and it would have a message about "unrecognized device" from time to time, but not all the time. I tried several items, mp3 player, external drive, and camera.

8. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

I should point out that a few weeks ago when I was having trouble, the power was always on to my device. I would plug in my mp3 player, and it would come on, so power was on the port, however, the computer would not recognize that there was a drive there. Currently, the power seems to cycle on the port. My drive will come on, and the window of "what do you want to do" pops up, but the power goes out, device shuts off.......then, power comes back and my drive powers up again.

9. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Possibility? Your Power Supply Unit (PSU) isnt supplying enough power to your PC (usually caused by a Video card upgrade) Try a more powerful PSU ...
    You said this was an old computer correct?

10. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

yeah, it is from 2005, but everything else is functioning fine. It is only the front ports that I am having problems with. I'm thinking when I get home, pull the cover off and refresh the connections. It could be PS, but wouldn't that effect anythingthing else?

11. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Well based on what you've told me the power supply won't have a significant affect on performance. The system would CRASH if the voltage dropped low enough to have a large effect. Plus we haven't concluded if that was the problem yet so don't get stressed out. You're not at you PC so when you get to your PC write back in the post and we'll look into your issue more thoroughly.

12. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

What's the status?

13. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

Hey, sorry for not getting back to you. I haven't been able to do much with my computer since Friday. Weekends are generally pretty busy. Tomorrow morning (Thursday, Nov. 3) is going to be my best shot at troubleshooting this issue. I'm going to pull the side off and inspect connections first, and then go fromt here. Thanks again for your help, and sorry to leave you hanging.

14. energyzer

energyzer Thread Starter

Update: On a side problem, I've been having an issue with my internet speed, and have been dealing with Verizon wireless. They sent me a new air card. I uninstalled my old card and installed my new card last night. After that, I decided to start working on my usb problem. I plugged in my external hard drive to my front port and powered up. Everything seemed to be working fine. I backed up some files over night and went to bed. I got up this AM, and restarted my computer. It came up to the blue HP screen, and wouldn't go any farther. I tried restarting it a few times, but it wouldn't go any farther than the blue start up screen. Pulled my computer out, and unhooked everything. Pulled the side off and refreshed the connections, and cleaned the dust out the best I could. Without having anything plugged in, I started the computer up, and it fired up. Powered down, plugged a usb cable into the back plain, and tried it again, and it only came up to the blue screen. It seems that If I have anything plugged into the usb ports, it won't go past the blue start up screen, but after the computer is running, I can plug something in, and it works fine. Checked the device manager, and everything seems to be fine there.

15. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Can you get into Bios?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice