1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Front USB ports not working anymore.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XORgasm, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XORgasm

XORgasm Thread Starter

A while ago, my front USB ports stopped functioning. The controllers still show up in the device manager even after reinstalling them (Or at least I think they do, it's one controller to two ports, right?), but whenever I plug in a USB device, even ones that previously functioned on these ports, nothing happens (The LED on my gamepad doesn't even light up.). I've tried scanning for hardware changes. The ports came with the case. The computer is custom built.

System specifications:

Windows XP SP2, using a custom shell <-Have tried uninstalling the new shell and putting default shell back to explorer, USB devices still did not work on the front ports.
    Asus A7N8X bundled with nForce2 sound card.
    AMD Athlon M10 Processor.
    Two hard drives.
    One Cd Drive. One DVD Drive.
    nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 Videocard.

Any ideas are appreciated. It's a total pain to have to find my way to the back USB ports all the time.

Edit: Oh. Wait. Not sure if it actually is detecting three sets of two USB ports, the device manager lists the following:

Universal serial bus controllers
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller​
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller​
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller​
    USB Root Hub​
    USB Root Hub​
    USB Root Hub​

Does this mean I have to figure out the enigma that is the front panel of my pc case? I hope not.

2. shootingmypc

shootingmypc

How old is the computer?

3. XORgasm

XORgasm Thread Starter

Most of it is fairly recent, I don't remember when I got the mainboard or processor. But other than that the only really dated pieces are the CD drive and my old hard drive.

4. shootingmypc

shootingmypc

I asked that because my front USB ports on my four year old computer died.

5. 4steve44

4steve44

Have you been inside the case recently? ;)

6. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

The Connections for the front USB on the Mobo are really flimsy and small, it wouldn't take much to displace them As im sure it's why 4steve44 is asking If you have been inside the case recently. Could be worth tracing tham back and taking a look.
    Just a thought
    Cheers
    Gus

7. XORgasm

XORgasm Thread Starter

Problem solved. The two +5V wires weren't connected (d'oh) It's what I get for having an open case.

8. 4steve44

4steve44

Remember to mark this thread "Solved" :p

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/346526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice