1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Frozen cursor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by osewfine, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. osewfine

osewfine Thread Starter

I have windows xp & last night my cursor froze up. I replaced the mouse but that made no difference. I used the keyboard to navigate & did a system restore to 2 days previous. That did nothing. I powered down several times & still no results. I was playing spider solitaire that came with the computer when the cursor froze. This morning when I turned the computer back on the cursor was working again, but when I started playing spider again it froze up after a while. I powered down & got the cursor back, but who knows for how long. Could the spider game be causing this? I'm running my virus scan right now & so far no threats. Please advise.

2. waggy19

waggy19

Hi,
    Not a great fan of these games but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling them. If you go into add/remove programs and click on add/remove windows components at the left side, take the tick out of the games box, apply and reboot. Go back into the same place and put the tick back into the games box. Reboot again and try the game. Not sure if this will work but it's something to try.

3. osewfine

osewfine Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply. I went to the add/remove windows components & there was no check next to the spider game. I tried to add it and received a message to insert disk for the game. I don't have a disk as this was a program that came with the computer. I haven't played the game anymore to see if the cursor stays live. Is there a possibility that the game has expired. I have noticed for the past few months that the same games seem to come up very often.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

The game comes bundled with Windows and doesn't expire.
    To elaborate on what waggy19 suggested, go to Add/Remove Programs and click on Add or Remove Windows components.
    Click on 'Accessories and Utilities'
    Select 'Games' and click the 'Details' button.
    You should see Spider Solitaire listed.
    Uncheck its box and click OK
    Restart the computer.
    Go back and check the Spider Solitaire box and click OK to re-install it.

5. osewfine

osewfine Thread Starter

The box is already unchecked. It was unchecked when I went there before. I don't know when or how it got unchecked, but when I tried to check it is was asked for a disk.

6. Claymore

Claymore

So, do you have an XP installation CD?

7. osewfine

osewfine Thread Starter

I had to make my own disk(s) the computer gave that option & I had actually forgotten about it. There were 7 disks & the game was on the 2nd one. I have installed it & so far no problem. Thanks for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice