1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] FTP Questions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Kaneohe, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

I need to transfer many large files from my old Win95 machine to my new XP machine; both have Ethernet cards in them, and I also have access to a hub if needed. I want to be able to connect the two machines directly to eachother (offline).

I have the following questions:

1. Do I need to install FTP on both PCs? If so, does one need FTP Server software and the other FTP Client software, or should the both have the same?

2. Can you recommend a particular (free) FTP software that will work in both a Win95 and XP environments?

3. Once I've got FTP installed on both machines, I assume I need to assign IP addresses (192.205.10.1 and .2) to each PC. Are there other changes/configurations I need to make (ie. DNS Server, Gateway, etc)?

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have the two machines direct connected with networking, you don't need FTP to transfer files, all you need to do is browse in network neighborhood to the shared drive on the other machine and do a copy.

3. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

Hi John,

I've tried to network the two machines, but have not been able to do so successfully. I'm able to ping from XP to 95, but not able to ping from 95 to XP; just can't seem to get the 95 machine to see the XP machine. It was suggested that using FTP might be an one way to transfer the many (1000+) large files from Win95 to XP.

Any suggestions on the FTP questions? I'm a bit of a novice, so be gentle....

Aloha

Kaneohe

4. kramnnim

kramnnim

Yes, you need one PC with a server program, and one with a client. I've been using the client "LeechFTP", it's not the greatest, but it does the job, and it's free. I've used a couple of FTP server programs, AnalogX has a free one that worked. I don't think you need to change any DNS server or default gateway settings.

5. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

Hi Kramnnim,
    Thanks for your suggestion. Is a FTP Client a different program than FTP Server? Or is this determined by a setting after I've installed the FTP software?

Do you know if Leech works in both XP and Win95? I assume that I should use the same "brandname" of FTP software on each computer....

Aloha
    Kaneohe

6. kramnnim

kramnnim

A client is not the same as a server- the client connects to the server, the server just has the info there available. I think LeechFTP would work in Win95, I'm not 100% sure, though. It works in XP...and there's no need to use the same "brand" for both server and client.

Have you considered taking the hard drive out of the Win95 machine and putting it temporarily in the XP PC? It might be easier...

Oh, another thing- what type of network cable are you using? Is it a patch cable, or a crossover? If you're going direct PC-to-PC, without a hub, you need to use a crossover.

7. JohnWill

If you can't ping both ways, FTP will not connect, so that's a bit pointless.

If you can get FTP working, you can get networking working, and it'll be a LOT easier to transfer the files! Since this is strictly for file transfer, I'd suggest that you forgo trying to get TCP/IP working, but rather install NETBEUI on both sides as the only protocol. It requires no configuration, and if the two systems are in the same workgroup, and have different computer names, you should be talking. You'll have to share files on one of the systems, I'd suggest the W95 system, since you won't have to deal with security and password issues.

Although NETBEUI isn't in the basic list of protocols it's on the CD.

NETVEUI from WinXP CD

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.

Navigate to the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.

Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.

Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

Click [Start] [Control Panel] and double-click [Network Connections].

Right-click the adapter where NetBEUI is to be added then click Properties.

On [General] tab, click Install.
    Click [Protocol] then click [Add].

Select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.

Restart computer if prompted.

NetBEUI should be installed and functional.

8. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

Hi John,
    Since this is going to be a temporary connection, will I be able to uninstall NETBEUI later? (Seems like a dumb question, but I guess I'm nervous about installing software on my new XP...)

I use the XP machine to access the internet via broadband (RoadRunner and DHCP) so I want to make sure that I can undo any changes I make to my system.
    Thanks
    K

PS. This forum is great! I appreciate your help!

9. JohnWill

You can indeed uninstall the NETBEUI protocol, though it won't affect the TCP/IP connect in any case. For what you're doing, I think it's the way to go, you should be networked in about 10 minutes, assuming you have no hardware or cabling issues. :)

10. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

Success! I was able to get networking to work. I deleted the TCP/IP protocol for the NIC card and then rebooted, letting the computer rebuild the driver(?) file for that piece of hardware, and was able to ping both machines and ultimately transfer the files.

Thanks for your help.
    Kaneohe

11. JohnWill

Mission accomplished. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!