1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: full 4 GB of memory not detected and used

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jrbuergel, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    In my XP Pro service pack 3, fully updated the full 4 GB of memory is not detected and used. In the System Properties and the Task Manager/ Performance/ Physical Memory it does only show 3.25 GB of RAM. But in the System Information it shows the full 4 GB. I did see at a Microsoft web site that XP 32 bit should detect and use up to a maximum of 4 GB, so what trick can I do to solve this issue. And in the BIOS the memory detected is; 4096 MB which is 4 GB, thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Any possibility that your video controller does not have its own RAM and is sharing a goodly chunk of the system RAM?

4. hewee

hewee

I only got 3 GB for my new Dell because I was told XP or XP Pro has or can have trouble with more then that. I forget just what it was.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    According to the information on the MSDN web site, other than the starter edition, 32 bit Windows XP supports up to 4 GB.

6. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    My video card is a EVGA NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT with 1024 MB of video memory. Also I do a dual boot with Vista Home Premium 64 bit version which does detect and use the full 4 GB.

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Its pretty simple, 32-bit can address 4 gigs, BUT, if a 32-bit system only used all that address space for memory, how would it address everything else attached to and included in the system?

So to keep the ship tidy and running above the waterline, a 32-bit system will address as much memory space as it can while still leaving address space for everything else, so usable memory usually falls in the 2.75 to 3.25 gig range.

In the BIOS its just memory, not system-addressed memory.

8. koen7

koen7

9. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Maybe we can get a sticky with what fairnooks just wrote since someone seems to ask this question twice a week. At this point it souldn't be asked this much.

10. hewee

hewee

I guess what it says is what I was told but like I said I forgot. I trusted the PC tech person who told me so did not get 4 GB but only 3 GB and all has beed good and really most times I am using below less then 1 GB.

11. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

The thing is with XP unless your doing CAD or video editing the PC will never use more then about 600MB at most. Even with modern games on XP most all of them will never use more then 400MB.

12. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I had also seen online some where that that XP maximum RAM includes the video card total memory. So for my newer Intel Core 2 dual system with 4 GB RAM plus the nvidia 9600 GT video memory of 1024 MB is 5 GB total. This may be why then is only shows 3.25 GB ?

13. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

jrbergel I've seen that misconception posted many times online at various places and it is incorrect. What people are seeing is the result of 32bit operating systems reaching there RAM limits.

A 32bit OS can address up to 4GB of RAM, but some of that memory will need be reserved for I/O devices, such that all 4GB will not be available to the system. RAM amounts over 3.25GB are reserved and not alailable to the system for RAM. This is normal operation.

I can't wait till we get 64-bit computers that reach their limits in physical RAM and have to have this converation all over again.

14. hewee

hewee

Using just over 1000MB right now nut most time is is 600MB to 700MB.
    Guess something is scanning. Now it is about 650MB. So much is cached or in the page file.

I got the image programs and some can use a lot of memory or I was told to get all you can get. 3D programs can take a lot to render things.
    I got this PC after I moved here and have yet to install the programs I want this PC for. :rolleyes:

15. koen7

koen7

He is not that incorrect. VRAM (might not be all of it) is part of that 4GB address space.

16. bbearren

bbearren

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828239