1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: full image backup of hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lafnirvana, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lafnirvana

lafnirvana Thread Starter

This is my hard drive backup plan. Any thoughts on my plan would be appreciated.

I am going to use Acronis 2010 with my wd external drive to image my hard drive for the first time. I've taken the time to educate myself on the difference between full image backups and incremental backups.
    Since this is a personal use computer, not a business, incremental backups would seem to be a waste of time for me.

Once I successfully image to the wd drive I have, I will get another wd external drive and save another full image. That way I can toggle saving full image backups between the two. I've heard horror stories about backup drives failing just when you need them. This way if my hard drive crashes, I'll have two complete images saved on two separate drives. If one wd drives fails, I still have a backup image on the other one.

So what do you tech gods think? (y) or (n)

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I have twin externals .. Just n Case.
    They've worked Flawlessly .. But one day I goofed and wiped one of them :mad:

I also have another Enclosure that has my next fresh restore HDD in it ..
    Just waiting to be swapped with my working drive .. when needed.

If you plan on having a huge amount of personal Data .. It's best to have it in another partition.
    I never use Incremental Backups.

Any Data you don't care about .. Is Data you only have one copy of.
    See the redundancy ???

I get enclosures .. then install a HDD of my choice ... Can swap HDDs this way.

Attached Files:

• DM2.gif
      DM2.gif
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I also never backup my working Drive C .. You just never know what it's collected.

My backups are the last fresh install .. When needed .. I restore the last ..
    Update it as needed .. Then make a new backup for the next time.

My data is backed as Copy n Paste Data to a different partition .. As it collected or created.

All I have to rewrite (restore) is the system partitions.
    Nothing tunes up a computer ... Or fixes what may ail It ... better than a fresh restore.

This may be a little overkill .. But just call me Paranoid :D

4. lafnirvana

You mentioned not backing up your c drive because of possible "junk" on it. I thought that image software takes a complete snapshot of your c drive to save to external drive (or a drive in enclosure as you mentioned-which by the way was some new tech knowledge for me-thanks)

So tell me if I'm misunderstanding something about full image backups.

Thanks nyob!

5. lafnirvana

sorry for butchering your name

Noyb

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. You understand correctly.
    An Image is a copy of the system exactly the way it is ...
    Any virus, corruption or problems will also be copied ... And that can be a problem.

Once upon a time .. I backed up my working system.
    And there was a time when I had to go back a couple of versions ..
    because I backed up > recovered a problem I hadn't found yet.

Backing up the working system is only good if it has Personal data in it.

Since then .. I started with a fresh install .. and quit backing up my working system
    Every time I recover to a fresh system .. I can feel the difference.
    Like installing a new engine in you car.

Enclosures are great ... Many times the enclosure goes bad ... but the HDD is OK.
    With an enclosure .. you can get to the HDD and replace the "box"

Here's a example of an enclosure, Hard Drive not included >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173043

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    The problem here is understanding the difference between the System and the Data that may be in it.

The system may not change rapidly .. But your Personal Data can.
    Acronis is not really good for backing up Data that changes rapidly ..
    But it's great for the system.

How much personal Data do you think you will be saving in the system ???
    Is any of this soaking in yet ??

8. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I back up my entire working system monthly. So long as it is working correctly and is fast and has no problems, I'll do a back up of it. Should I be having error messages or oddness occurring of some sort, I would not do a back up of it. Actually, if I could not solve the problem, I'd probably restore from my last back up when it was working correctly. ;) .

9. lafnirvana

I have saved my personal data-music, pics, documents to a couple of flash drives. I've also saved them to my external drive using synctoy which makes backing up personal files painless. I think I can use synctoy to save these files to the flash drives, just havn't tried yet since synctoy is a new toy for me.

Also, I'm thinking I might be able to copy both a full hdd image and personal files using synctoy to the same external drive, using different destinations of course. That would simplify things for me.

Thoughts?

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. An Aconis backup is just a data file that can be saved along with other data files.
    I use different folders to organize my Backup files.

Be sure to format the external NTFS ... FAT doesn't like the large Acronis files.

11. lafnirvana

I must have read that ntfs is better suited with acronis somewhere along the way because I already had a windows webpage saved that explains just how to reformat my drive to ntfs. But I would have completly forgotten if you hadn't mentioned it, so thanks again.

One more question. I can just save my personal data folders separatly in the same partition as the image. I don't need to create a new partition for the personal folders right?

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I see no reason to partition an external for more than one partition.
    An Acronis Image is just another Data file ... And I organize my externals in folders.
    Folders are flexible in size .. Partitions are not - And are a waste of space.

The only reason I see to have two partitions on an external ..
    Is if one of them is a bootable backup System Partition.

You can Copy>Paste just the Desktop or My Docs folder .. To an external.
    This way, you don't have to Image the whole system.

13. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Like Noyb, this is what I do. Any folders I want to save separately to have easy access to, I just save in the same external (single) partition hard drive.

14. lafnirvana

I was 99.9% sure about the partitian question, but wanted to be 100%. Now I am. And off I go to image...

Thanks to both of you! :) (y)

15. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

No problem. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/873098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice