1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: full screen dvd capture

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by t bone, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. t bone

t bone Thread Starter

looking for an app. that will capture the actual full screen of a dvd when the player is in full screen mode.

i have windvd7...i am able to capture the screen when it's in full screen mode but the size of the saved pic is way smaller than what i want.

what i want is the saved pic to be the actual size of the full screen somewhere around 1280x1024 any ideas?

2. Sponsor

3. sethanie88

sethanie88

I use Nero Showtime. The only problem with capturing full screen images in Showtime is that the captured images will have a funky aspect ratio. Full Screen movies are captured fine though. I would be very interested to know if there is any way to fix Showtime to capture images in the correct aspect ratio though... does anyone know?

4. thecoalman

thecoalman

The highest and most common resolution of DVD is 720x480. Scaling a screenshot up is best done by an image editing application using bicubic resizing or a filter specifically scaling images up. No matter what you do though when you scale it up you can't add what's not there. Scaling it up will just give you large soft looking image.

4:3(regular) and 16:9(widescreen) use the same resolution of 720x480, the player adjusts it to the correct aspect. What you're seeing is the raw capture. Can't help you with Showtime but how a screen shot is captured depends on the player. PowerDVD for example gives you the choice of either. If you can't change that in the options you have to resize it, 853x480 will give you 16:9 or 1600x900 etc...

5. t bone

t bone Thread Starter

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

That's an odd resolution and would not be found on a DVD, sure it's not 352x480? You can open the DVD oe file in Windows Media player. Pause the video and hit ctrl-I which will place the frame on the clipboard. that should give you the absolute resolution of the video.

7. t bone

t bone Thread Starter

sorry bout that, wrong file...384x288 was the size of a capture made of a movie clip i did awhile back

the size of a dvd capture with windvd is coming out 680x480.

8. thecoalman

thecoalman

Another odd resolution. :p 640x480 would be more appropiate as that would give you an exact aspect of 4:3. WinDVD may be just capturing the video played at the correct aspect. Anyhow if you follow the directions for WMP I posted above the capture will probably be 720x480 providing it's a NTSC video. WMP will give you the raw resolution of the video.

9. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Under configuration choose "capture frame" and you will see just two options under " captured aspect ratio" (well thats if you are using Nero Showtime 2, I'm not sure if more recent versions are the same) if you choose "original video source size" the screenshot will retain the same aspect ratio as the video.

10. thecoalman

thecoalman

It would be or should be the exact opposite... As I mentioned above 4:3 video and 16:9 video both use the same resolution. The resolution would be the "original video source". 720x480 is very close to 4:3 so it appears to have the correct aspect. a 16:9 would not, people for example would appear elongated.

11. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I understand what you are saying and wanted to do a couple screencaptures to demonstrate. What I said only holds for Nero Showtime, I've never used the other program. If you look at the attached image you will see how when forced to capture the window (these were both taken while viewing the same scene in fullscreen mode) the image appears squished in from the sides and elongated up and down (most easily seen looking at the canon muzzle). While when left to capture the original aspect ratio the image appears undistorted.

Attached Files:

12. thecoalman

thecoalman

The top image is 720x480, that size comes from resolution of the video. Again 4:3 video and 16:9 video on DVD both use the same resolution of 720x480. The aspect is adjusted by the DVD player or the software (most of the time). That's what you'll get If whatever you are using to grab the screenshot uses the resolution.

I'll assume this is a widescreen video? Actually they are both distorted. ;) You couldn't have posted a better image to iiustrate the point with the cannon since it's round. I've placed a circle in the middle to better illustrate. As you can see the cannon gets perfectly round when the image is displayed at 16:9. That or it's a very big coincidence.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 169.jpg
      169.jpg
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:
  13. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Yes it is widescreen and yes I chose the prominent circle on purpose.(Nausicaa just happened to be close at hand)
    Now I see your point a little better than I did before and am thinking the reason I get better results using the original video source size when in fullscreen mode is because I'm using a LCD monitor (with the typical 1280x1024 res) which has a tendency to elongate images that are "forced" to fit it.

So then to get the most accurate screenshots I would be best off to leave the video windowed (with showtime set to maintain the aspect ratio) and to capture the video window size ... right?

[edit] Thank you by the way for mentioning that the common resolution of DVD is 720x480, I've done more than a few searches looking for that and never found it.

14. thecoalman

thecoalman

You should be using the native resolution of your monitor or a multiple of the native resolution. Using anything else will cause distotion regardless of what you are viewing.

I just grab them at 720x480 then resize to 853x480 using bi cubic in my image editor.

Two things to note, there are other resolutions and 720x480 is for NTSC (US mostly), Pal has different resolutions.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

15. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Thanks for that link its been bookmarked and looks as though it will serve as a good reference guide. Now I can't resist the pull any longer and have to be off to play some Titan Quest.

16. t bone

t bone Thread Starter

i ended up trying powerdvd which has the option to save the captures in any size i want keeping the same ratio.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!