1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Full submersion mineral oil cooled PC, concerned about dust, evaporation and

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rickyjo, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickyjo

rickyjo Thread Starter

Last night I bought a fish tank, an air pump, a bubble rock, a load of mineral oil and installed ubuntu to a flash drive, removed a small form factor HP's mobo and CPU fan from its case and dumped it all into the fish tank.

It works :)

Now I want to find out if mineral oil evaporates at a rate where I should worry about being air tight, also was wondering if people who have done this used a filtration system to get rid of any dust and if I should be at all concerned about H2O build up at the bottom of the tank. Right now I just have a make-shift dust cover on the top of the tank. I would rather invest in lights than lids if I can get away with it.

Performance is not the issue, it's a conversation piece and its aesthetics trump everything except basic functionality.

Thanks! Can't wait to see if anybody here has done this before.

2. rickyjo

rickyjo Thread Starter

I was thinking of getting one of those nets for aquariums that you catch little fish in, I was thinking it would filter out larger particles. It sounds like mineral oil doesn't evaporate very quickly, but they were not talking about this context.

3. rickyjo

rickyjo Thread Starter

So I believe I found the information I needed, I'm posting here for the sake of searches down the road.

Apparently mineral oil does evaporate very slowly and it shouldn't make a significant difference. My aquarium is larger than most that people have used so I hope this holds true. Somebody also pointed out that I couldn't put an air-tight lid on an aquarium that has a bubbler in it so the issue is void anyway.

As for water build up, water sinks to the bottom of the tank, I have 25 pounds of gravel at the bottom of my tank raising the components over an inch high above the base of the tank. H20 can settle down there and it won't cause problems unless there is a substantial disturbance to the tank while the PC is running. So I was fortunate enough to inadvertently design an anti-water system.

Finally, the filtering of the oil in several months when it gets a bit murky? No safe solution yet; however, one person claims that a regular aquarium water filter applied every now and then will actually work. I would imagine running all the time would kill the filter, but, it seems that perhaps running it 24-48 hours every several months will actually keep the oil clean and not kill the filter. This is one persons story, I don't know if it's true.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/949936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice