1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: function key for volume

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raquibird, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Suddenly the function key coupled with arrow keys (volume shortcut) stopped working. This happened after some other screwy things began happening: suddenly a window would switch to desktop without me accidentally doing anything - and in gmail suddenly the compose window would disappear and a new compose window would show up. The switch in windows happens in Word primarily.

Help...

Thanks, as always.
    Manuela

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU U4100 @ 1.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4027 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1821 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 464838 MB, Free - 377315 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 4810T, Base Board Version, LXPJN020749350D1432000
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Internet Security Pro, Updated and Enabled

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would start by performing a full virus scan using your AV software and a malware scan with an app such as MalwareBytes.

3. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I did a system restore, and that seems to have taken care of that problem.. However...what's happening more and more: I'm working in Word, and then suddenly the doc disappears and I'm looking at my desktop. I have to go down to the taskbar, click on the doc name, and then it comes up, and not where I had been just typing - it comes up at the end of the page/typing. Help...

Thx - Manuela

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Same answer.

Something is minimizing Word. In most instances, it is virus or malware related.

5. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Hi - thanks.
    I have Trend Micro - would that not have stopped virus/malware??

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Nothing is fool proof. Thus the need to scan.

7. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

Scanning all the time - and updating also. I've even written to Trend telling them what happened.
    Any other ideas how I might fix it? I've tried pounding on the laptop, but that just makes it cranky.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you used any tools besides Trend? If not, scan with a different tool.

If it's still clean, then I'm not sure how to proceed. Word should not be minimizing on it's own, so unless you are having a weird keyboard or mouse issue, I would still suspect a malware (or possibly some other software that you are using) issue.

9. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

It now has begun happening in any program I'm working in...even an online jigsaw puzzle. I'll touch a place on the screen, and bam! I'm at the desktop and have to click on the program/doc on the taskbar to bring it back. And then it comes back at the bottom of whatever page I'd been in.

10. raquibird

raquibird Thread Starter

I just downloaded and scanned with malwarebyte as you suggested, and it said that everything was fine...

Next suggestion?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice