1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: FVG318 router firmware update failure

Discussion in 'Networking' started by giggsygiggs, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giggsygiggs

giggsygiggs Thread Starter

I recently bought a Netgear FVG318 router. It seemed to slow down my network a bit and generally didn't behave perfectly.

I checked its firmware version and saw that it was over a year old. So I downloaded the latest firmware (.bin) file and used the http connection to upload it to the router. About halfway into the update process, the router crashed. I got a "unable to connect" message in my browser window and the router stopped functioning. When I turn the router on, all that happens is that all the green lights flash every five seconds.

There were further problems when I try to reset the router. After I press the reset button, the "Test" light starts blinking as it should, but it never stops. I kept it blinking for over an hour and then manually rebooted it. I get the same behavior as before.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No recovery here, you'll have to send that back to Netgear.

3. giggsygiggs

Thats what I was thinking as well. Thats a shame cause I just bought it a few weeks ago.

Oh well, looks like I'm gonna have to put up with their customer service/tech support. :(

Thanks anyways.

4. JohnWill

Without the proper equipment, it's basically impossible to fix a "bricked" router. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

5. giggsygiggs

Marked the thread.

Also managed to get through tech support customer service etc and managed to have them ship me a replacement for free.

6. JohnWill

There you go, and be more careful with the firmware FLASH this time! :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice