1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: G+ MIMO router disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hunniah, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hunniah

Hunniah Thread Starter

Hello, I have a G+ MIMO router. The router works fine but it keeps on disconnecting when I'm trying to download something, or watch videos online, or connect my PS3 to it. Playing games on PSN is impossible and I play a lot! I used to have a linksys router and it worked fine with my PS3. But I recently moved in with my sister but she's got G+ MIMO router and I've had nothing but problems with it. The PS3 connects to the internet wirelessly but keeps on disconnected after a while. And I can't connect it directly because the router is upstairs and PS3 is downstairs. I can't update PSN or download game updates! Or download big files unless I connect it directly with the modem.

I'm from England, I've got Virgin media broadband cable connection. I'm using dynamic connection type, wireless. Haven't used an encryptions yet. And I'm using XP home SP2.

Security logs;

Code:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]User Login From 192.168.2.3 => Fri Jan  2 16:47:36 2009

Get IP Address 82.**.**.*** From DHCP Server => Fri Jan  2 16:40:13 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Fri Jan  2 16:40:08 2009

Get IP Address 82.**.**.*** From DHCP Server => Fri Jan  2 16:00:32 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Fri Jan  2 16:00:27 2009

Get IP Address 82.**.**.*** From DHCP Server => Fri Jan  2 15:58:25 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Fri Jan  2 15:58:20 2009

Get IP Address 82.**.**.*** From DHCP Server => Thu Jan  1 00:00:25 1970[/SIZE][/FONT]
    From yesterday;

Code:
    WAN Connection Disconnected => Thu Jan 1 17:24:37 2009

Get IP Address 82.**.**.*** From DHCP Server => Thu Jan 1 17:23:14 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Thu Jan 1 17:23:09 2009

Get IP Address 82.**.**.*** From DHCP Server => Thu Jan 1 17:20:20 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Thu Jan 1 17:20:16 2009

Get IP Address 82.**.**.*** From DHCP Server => Thu Jan 1 17:17:57 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Thu Jan 1 17:17:53 2009

Get IP Address 82.**.**.*** From DHCP Server => Thu Jan 1 17:15:37 2009
    Please HELP!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the router may need a firmware update
    or it may be a dns issue

Does everything disconnect when it happens - or just wireless ?
    if wireless, a channel change, use 1 or 6 or 11 may help

can you do the following

can you do the following tests when its working and then repeat them all when disconnected

Post back the results of all the test - clearly labeled which is which - ie connected OK and disconnected

its important to do all the ping tests

1) Ping the default gateway
    2) ping google.com by the name
    3) ping google using IP address

all details below

ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
    start
    run
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

NEXT lets see if you can get out onto the internet with both names and IP's - its possible the IP number you get back on the first test is different to the one I post {I'm in UK} so use the number you get instead of mine

------------------------------------------------
    try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
    run
    cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping {the default gateway ipaddress you got above }

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
    C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99

3. Hunniah

Hunniah Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for replying!

The thing is, I'm on my sister's computer and it is connected to the router with the wire that came with the router (her laptop's wireless adopter is not working properly for some reason, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't) I don't have access to my laptop at the moment and I wouldn't have it with me for at least a week. So, can I still do these tests? Or do I need to do them wirelessly?

Thanks again for helping. My main problem at the moment is connecting PS3 to the router wirelessly and later when I get my laptop back, downloading files over 20 MB file size, or watching videos online (wirelessly). So far I've only noticed the problem when my PS3 or my laptop is connected to the router wirelessly. I haven't checked the wired connection yet since my sister doesn't download much. I'll check and report back.

4. Hunniah

Hunniah Thread Starter

Okay can't download anything when connected directly, tried to download a 350 MB file but it stopped after 88 MB at 25%.

Also, I tried the firmware update but there are no updates available.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you expand

If you are connected via a cable to the router - it will not let you download anything - correct
    but will allow you to surf the net ...

would you try my tests - before and after

6. GlennMetcalf

GlennMetcalf

I am dealing with a similar set of symptoms. I have determined that if the hardwired computer is disconnected from the router the router works exactly as it should. Otherwise in my case it resets about every 30 minutes. You might try to unplug the upstairs computer from the router just to see what happens. Also If your router 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 has a status page you might see if the connection timer seems to have a reset point (mine is 29:30) see if all the lights flash off on the router when it reaches that point. Does the hardwired computer come up with messages like "A cable is unpluggged"?

7. Hunniah

Hunniah Thread Starter

Okay I've found the solution. I tried checking for the firmware update directly from the home page, (in my case it's 192.168.2.1) but it said "There is no new firmware update available for this Router!" I googled and found out that there are MANY people having similar problems with G+ MIMO router. I found out that there is a beta version on the UK Belkin site that solves the connection problem. I downloaded it and flashed my router with it (firmware update >> browse the beta version saved on the putor) and what do ya know, it worked like a charm! Now I can play LittleBigPlanet again! *hugs her PS3* I've been playing games since last night and haven't encouter ANY lag or drop-out yet! I could update my games, download over 1GB file without any problem.

YAY!!

For people with similar problem, go to Belkin UK site and download 5.02.08 version if your router is G+ MIMO Router part # F5D9230-4

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F5D9230uk4&aid=9465&scid=0

:D

Thanks etaf for helping! *hug*

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) glad it all worked out

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/785933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice