1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Games Closing

Discussion in 'Games' started by charlton3k, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlton3k

charlton3k Thread Starter

Hey, i just put my pc together and it worked first time, no problems.
    Now applications i open, close after around 5 mins or so.
    Any game i open, World of Warcraft, Prey, Oblivion even things liek eJay just close randomly.
    Nothing else is effected, its as if i accidently press alt+r4 or something (which i dont :p)
    So yeah, guess its a problem with hardware? Sayin as it was fine before i upgraded it.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    depends. What is your computer specs now?

3. Smety

Smety

Could be your graphics card getting a bit too hot, and dropping the application all together, or it might be some bad RAM . . .

4. charlton3k

i had the g card and ram on older pc, so its jst stuck on my new motherboard, it uses both pci and agp, agp bein my card, and duall drr and duall ddr2, which i use 2 512 ddr sticks

5. charlton3k

Hmm, ok now the pc just restarts itself instead of just the game closing
    This has happened in the past but i fixed this by getting a bigger power supply
    so its still good enough, 550w, for my specs
    whats going on!!! :p

6. Smety

Smety

Well you have a bad something. Now it sounds like you might have a bad RAM modual . . .

7. charlton3k

hopefully they are in the right slots, there both ddr and im sure there not in the ddr2 slots, it would say wudnt it lol

8. GripS

GripS

DDR will not fit in DDR2 slots and vice versa. I'm sorry but a dual AGP and PCI Express as well as Dual DDR/DDR2 motherboard probably wasn't the best choice. It's best to just go with one or the other. I would explain why but it may take a while and i really don't want to write a novel right now.

Who manufactures your PSU? 550 watts SHOULD be plenty. However it's the manufacturer and the amperage rating on the +12v rail are what really counts. Wattage ratings are often...well....BS!!

Test each stick of ram with memtest86. No floppy? No problem, just download the ISO version and burn it to a CD-R. If each stick passes then consult your motherboard manual on which slots should be used. I know with my motherboard(thanks to the awesome support from forum members) that i need to use the orange slots. This all varies from company to company but the idea is that the info is either in your manual or from fellow users of your motherboard. Check your motherboard manufacturers forum if they have one.

Could be PSU. Could be RAM.... Could be both.

9. charlton3k

that memtest passed, no errors
    so guess its the psu, but its new and worked fine before
    i unplugged my second hdd and second dvd drive, and turning up and down the fans
    jsut sometimes the games will close, no warnings, errors etc and sometimes the whole pc will restart the same

i also checked the manual, the ram is in the right slots, orange aswell, there both 512 although one ram stick is taller than the other? dont know if that makes a difference though

belarc shows this by the way;

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM3' has 512 MB

10. Gibbs

Gibbs

This is commonly down to the CPU overheating, espcially if your computer restarts, or the applications close/reboot your desktop after a certain period of time. If you download an application like MBM5 monitor your CPUs temperature. I could be wrong but it's worth a try. If it isn't then that narrows the problem down at least ;).

Edit: THIS might also help, but wasn't the cause of my issues

11. charlton3k

i do have temperature monitors but the highest my cpu goes if 50c
    not sure if this is high for a dual 64

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    50ºc = 122ºf

13. Gibbs

Gibbs

50 is high but I doubt that's high enough to cause this problem...

14. charlton3k

yeah, before it was up to 60c but sticking a new fan in, it dropped to just under 40c and iv had no problem so far.
    so yeah i think everything was to do with the over heating, so its sorted now
    thanks ^_^

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/498571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice