Solved: gaming computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clueless_d

hey guys, my son has asked for a computer for christmas so he can play his games on but I have no idea where to get one or what to pay! things are pretty tight at the minute and I really can't afford to spend much more than £400 on a new pc for him but my friends reckon it'll cost at least a grand, I was wondering if this was true and where you'd recommend I go to purchase one?

thanks,

d

First Name
Jim
I usually don't recommend OEM hardware. And when I do (as I'm in the US), it would be Dell. You would get a better upgrade path by building your own.

In any event, I don't know that your budget will get you into the "gaming" range. Do you need the computer, monitor, and other associated accessories, or just the computer itself?

clueless_d

Yeah my budget was a bit of a concern. I suppose I could possibly use the last of my redundancy and maybe increase the budget to £7-800 but that would be the very max. We've already got a monitor and all that upstairs with the current PC so I don't suppose we need to buy new ones.

I did consider trying to upgrade the current one but a) I wouldn't know what to buy and b) When I enquired at a local IT store I was told the Dell just wasn't very upgradeable. They did suggest doing a self build but I wouldn't have a clue what to buy and wouldn't be overly confident putting everything together on my own.

Also, what's OEM?

First Name
SUE
I know that dell makes several gaming laptop models.If all you need is the tower you might want to check to see if dell makes gaming desktop models.If so you might want to check into a good used one which shouldnt break the budget as a new one would.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
You may want to get a few price quotes from the local store and post the specs here as well as the games that might be played and we can give you a recommendation. £7-800 should be enough for a decent gaming tower.

clueless_d

Hey guys, I think I may *just* about be able to afford this from Dell:

Congratulations! Your system is ready to be built.
We have some recommendations for you highlighted in green below.
Please check each item - and use the edit button to make any changes

Included in your system:pROCESSORIntel® Core™ i5-2320 Processor (3.00GHz, 6MB)editOPERATING SYSTEMEnglish Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)editSYSTEM RECOVERYOS Media MUI Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT) Resource DVDeditCHRISTMAS DELIVERYDelivery required in time for Christmas (on or before Dec 23)editSERVICES AND SUPPORT1Yr Collect & Returns Warranty – No upgrade selectededit
Dell RecommendsUpgrade today! If you experience technical difficulties with your system, we've got you covered with hardware support, extended phone support and software troubleshooting.
Upgrade to 1 Year Next Day In-Home Service with Premium Phone Support [add £135.00 or £7/month1]DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUPDataSafe Online Backup 2GB - 1 year licenceeditOFFICE SOFTWAREMicrosoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or OutlookeditPROTECT YOUR NEW PCMcAfee® Security Centre - 15 Month Protection - EnglisheditMEMORY6144MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x2048 + 2x1024] MemoryeditOPTICAL DRIVEDVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with Roxio and DVD Burn softwareeditHARD DRIVE1.5TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard DriveeditGRAPHICS CARDNVIDIA® GeForce GT 545 1GB DDR5 Graphics CardeditSOUND SOFTWARESound : Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudioeditMONITOR24in ST2420L UK/Irish Full HD WLED Widescreen Monitor (VGA, DVI-D and HDMI)editMOUSEDell Optical Scroll USB (2 buttons scroll) DUAL TONE Mouseedit
Dell Recommends
Logitech® M505 Wireless Mouse
Upgrade to Logitech Wireless Mouse M505 [add £19.99 or £1/month1]KEYBOARDDell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)edit
Accessories
Also included with your systemACCIDENTAL DAMAGE PROTECTIONNo Accidental Damage Support
Dell System Media KitXPS 8300 Resource DVD
SpeakersNo Speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Shipping DocumentsEnglish - Documentation with UK/Ire Power cord
Gedis Bundle ReferenceD11X8303
Standard Warranty1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PC
Call Dell ExpertsOne free Dell Expert call to help with your PC queries within 60 days of purchase
DataSafeDatasafe Local 2.3 Basic
Order InformationXPS Desktop 8300 Order - UK

what do you all think? he plays lots of MMOs (wow, LOTRO) and FPS(?) and I know he has his eye on Battlefield 3 and Skyrim?, thoughts?

Thanks for your time :)

if you got the 2nd one on the list he would probably be able to run any new games out for a while running with the 6- core processor.. and its only 550

although the one you picked out would probably be good enough too with the i5 cpu and the gtx 560 nd 6gb mem

A good website I use is www.aria.co.uk have a browse around there, they also have a support line which you can ring, also, they will change components to match your needs if you wish.

Very good company in my opinion.

If I were you, I will not get any computer from a companies like Dell, etc.
I'd built one myself, or if you don't know how, you should just buy the parts from a shop and get them to build it for you, since it costs significantly cheaper and you'll get better performance.

That website looks excellent and with the prices I could have afforded:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=on&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

(any good?)

But unfortunately I don't think they sell/deliver to the UK, or at least I can't find anything that says they do. I think they only operate out of the USA, Canada and China :(
Yeah but i didnt realize you were going to be putting close to 1000$ dollars into it.. if you have that type of cash i would say go for a Intel i7 processor and a gtx 570 graphics card but if you do get something with the phenom II make sure its atleast the X6

and yes sorry i didnt realize about the UK,.. check out that website there

First Name
Shane
A good website I use is www.aria.co.uk have a browse around there, they also have a support line which you can ring, also, they will change components to match your needs if you wish.

Very good company in my opinion.
I would agree with jamwaky. I am from UK myself and Aria is probably my prime source for PC components and has been for some time. Check out their super specials to save some money, they change fairly regularly.

I also like Aria because they often use good brand name components and their specs tell you make and model of all components so you know what you are buying. Do bare in mind though that their base units do not come with any operating system software, so unless you have a full version of Windows yourself (not a CD you got with another pre-built PC) you will have to factor that into the cost.

Some examples below, postage is generally around £7 for standard:

£400 inc VAT: http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/[email protected]+2.90GHz+DDR3+Gaming+PC+?productId=46325
Not up to speed with AMD CPUs so no idea where this one stands in the big scheme of things.

£550 inc VAT: http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/[email protected]+3.00GHz+DDR3+Gaming+PC+?productId=47203

£600 inc VAT: http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/[email protected]+3.30GHz+DDR3+Gaming+PC+?productId=47281

All the above have dedicated graphics cards which is a key point for a gaming system (don't buy something with integrated graphics if you can afford something with a reasonable dedicated card).

What games does your son play? Personally, I think 4GB RAM is perfectly fine for the majority of gaming (I have been gaming for years and never had more than 4GB RAM), you will pay more for a 6 core CPU but the majority of current games won't utlise multiple cores, maybe two but certainly not six. However they may utilise multiple cores more in the future so it would provide a bit more future proofing.

Yeah but i didnt realize you were going to be putting close to 1000$ dollars into it.. if you have that type of cash i would say go for a Intel i7 processor and a gtx 570 graphics card but if you do get something with the phenom II make sure its atleast the X6

and yes sorry i didnt realize about the UK,.. check out that website there
Unfortunately I think anyone would be hard pressed to find an i7 rig with a GTX570 for that sort of money in the UK :( For comparison, looking at the cheapest i7 gaming rig on Aria, which has a GTX580 is £1700 ($2600 approx)!

just to stretch on what tanis said, take in mind that the cpu generally caps how fast the computer will run, just make sure you get something that wont need to be replaced in the next year or two.. advancments in technology are moving quite fast and if you go with just a duel core processor chances are it will need to be upgraded eventally, but no you dont need 6 or 8 cores but something like a phenom II x4 would be fine and give headroom.. i would just get the x6 bc i mean its only like 40 bucks more lol

i had a duel core processor with a nice gpu and still had troubles running black ops just research before you buy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online