1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Gaming PC Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flyer0101, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flyer0101

flyer0101 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dylan
    Hello all, I was looking up basically building a completely new PC for gaming with Crysis 3 coming out and realizing my PC wasn't up to optimal standards I though it would be a good time to upgrade. My computers motherboard and CPU are fairly old and I think it would be good to upgrade them so basically I though I might as well build a new PC.

I have about $2500 to spend on the upgrade.

This is my current build:
    Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz Turbo 3.6Ghz
    ASUS P7H55D-M EVO Motherboard
    16Gb DDR3 Kingston 1600Mhz
    Nvidia GeForce 570GTX
    120GB WD SSD
    1TB WD Black HDD
    Thermaltake MK-I Chaser Case

This was a build I came up with I'm not 100% sure on everthing like what size power supply I need this is what I've come up with so something similar to this would be great or even if i could get abit more performance for the same price.

ASRock X79-EXTREME6 Socket 2011
    G.Skill 32Gb Kit
    Cooler Master Gold 1000W Silent Pro
    LG Blu-Ray Burner (Figured i'd take the DVD drive out of my current system and use that as well)
    Intel i7 3820 Processor (I will also need a FAN which I haven't added)
    Thermaltake Overseer Full Tower Case
    2x Seagate 1TB barracuda HDD (I will use the SSD out of my current rig)
    2x eVGA Geforce 680 GTX Graphics Card

I was also wondering maybe taking off one of the hard drives and using the $60 to purchase extra fans or something similar.

Thanks for any help, Flyer0101.

2. Simba7

Simba7

Darn. You're in Australia? Too bad Newegg doesn't ship there or you'd get a killer rig for a bit less.

Ok. I found some issues with your list.

1. Ditch the ASRock and go with Asus or Gigabyte.
    2. If you get a "K" series processor, I'd suggest liquid cooling it.
    3. I'd suggest 4x 1TB WD Blacks and doing a RAID5 (or RAID0 if you feel lucky) on all of them. I did this to one system and.. wow..

Why not just bump up your video card from the 5xx series to the 6xx series? I'm running Crysis 3 beta on my laptop without issues.

Did you try the beta on your current rig? If yes, was all your cores/threads being maxed out? What was your FPS rate?

3. flyer0101

flyer0101 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dylan
    I haven't tried it on my current rig, I considered just updating my graphics card but my processor is fairly old and my motherbaord as well there using the 156 socket type so I thought I might upgrade them as well. Also my current motherboard only has one PCi-E 16x slot, I could probably keep the current board and CPU and just go for a single 690 and maybe upgrade my RAM to 32gb. And it really does suck to live in Australia, specifically im in Western Australian and there really isn't a lot of competition between computer store so the prices are pretty steep.

4. Simba7

Simba7

I'm not sure if the pre-SB boards can handle >16GB of RAM. Also, Crysis 3 isn't going to use that much memory, but it might suck down your VRAM rather fast. It's not your processor that's going to be stressed out, it's going to be your video card. Crysis is not nice to video cards.

5. flyer0101

flyer0101 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dylan
    If i just replace the graphics card with a 690, would i need a bigger power supply at the moment I'm running a 800W corsair.

6. Simba7

Simba7

You should be fine.

7. flyer0101

flyer0101 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dylan
    Alrite, thanks for the help :)

8. Simba7

Simba7

You should wait until the GTX Titan is available in your area. Right now, they cost the same.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice