1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Garry's Mod Dedicated Server Issue

Discussion in 'Games' started by brodie1600, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodie1600

brodie1600 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I've recently been trying to set up a dedicated server for Garry's Mod. I used to run a Local server, but I wanted to have one that allowed a wider range of capabilities and settings.

I followed this guide: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Windows_Dedicated_Server_Setup

I set everything up how it told me to, and when I got to the "Starting srcds" part, I subbed in my IP information for the ones given in the example.

My batch file looks like this:

Code:
    @echo off
    cd c:\srcds/orangebox
    echo Starting game server.
    echo Beginning "Garry's Mod"
    srcds.exe -console -game garrysmod -port 27118 +map gm_construct +maxplayers 16 +ip [[external ip]]
    echo "Garry's Mod" has now started.
    echo It is recommended that you start Server Crash Recovery aswell.
    I went into my router settings and forwarded port 27118 on both TCP and UDP for my internal IP.
    I also allowed the required ports for the GMod server as well as port 27118 on both TCP and UDP through my firewall settings.

Whenever I try to run the batch file above (which starts the server client), I get an error that says:

"Couldn't allocate any server IP port"

I've checked all around to find a solution to this problem, but nothing I've tried seems to work.

I went on http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check to see if port 27118 is open on my internal IP... It says it's closed.

This, I'm guessing, is what's causing the error. The port I want to host my server on isn't forwarded for my external (and internal I guess) IP (note that above I mentioned that I did forward this port, and I know I did it correctly (and, when I checked to see if any of the other ports I forwarded were open (with that port checking website) they weren't)).

Just to troubleshoot a bit, I changed the IP in the batch file from my external IP to my internal IP. The program starts up fine, the server starts, and I can see my server in the LAN list... although I can't connect to it (again, I have no clue why).

This has been frustrating me for quite some time, and I'd just like for my server to get setup on my external IP (so that it's public) and have other people see it in the list and connect properly. At this point, I can't even get the server started when my external IP is in the batch file.

Any help is greatly appreciated =)

~brodie1600

((PS. I've tried the "+hostport 27016 +tv_port 27021" thing already. Makes no difference))

2. brodie1600

brodie1600 Thread Starter

EDIT: Just some images of my port settings of my router:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice