1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Gator.com on my registry!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by laurfar, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

I ran a program called Spy Bot and found that on my registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Gator.com. I opened it and it has something like 23 files under it. I'm not sure how to remove it because when I clk on one of the sub folders and it shows up on the right hand side, if I highlight the rt hand side and clk "delete" on the names of each folder it asks me if I want to delete, I say yes, and then I get a pop up that says that it could not be entirely deleted. Has anyone gotten this "Gator.com" thing put on their computer without wanting it? How can I get it off my registry? I'm a newbee when it comes to details like this. I need step by step instructions if you can. Thanks

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You should only have to use SpyBot to take care of Gator, no manual Registry editing is usually needed.
    If you can start the computer and get online- start up SpyBot, click on "Online" see if there are any updates such as includes....program updates, not the skins or language files....download updates....go offline, run SpyBot to check for problems....have it fix selected problems, ones it shows that are checked in red....others no need to. I am not sure this will work, if the changes in the Registry were made....
    If you cannot start the computer or get a lot of errors....try a bootdisk, at A: type C: and hit enter,.....
    C:\>scanreg and hit enter, see what it says.....It may tell you to try typing scanreg /restore..... or scanreg /fix.
    It may be possible to Restore a prior started registry, if it hasnt been more than four or so days since you did the "editing". See if you can select a Started registry from BEFORE you edited anything.

C:\>scanreg /restore

This may work, but it would of course replace Gator- which you could remove again using just SpyBot, if SpyBot was an installed program then, or you can reinstall it.... Registry changes are immediate, and it can be confusing trying to keep track of what rbxxx.cab restore is actually the one you want....a new one is created at the first startup each day, and the default amount of backups is usually 5. Bad ones will be listed as Not Started....don't waste chances by selecting one of those.

3. cnm

cnm

First, make sure your Spybot has the latest updates. Online->Search for updates.

Then do a scan, and check anything written in red, and tell Spybot to fix selected items.
    Reboot, repeat the scan and fix any red that still show up.
    Because of files being in use, it could take several boots before Spybot shows you are clean.

Do not try to remove gator by hand. Spybot knows what it's doing, and backs up everything it changes.

4. The_Egg

The_Egg

Check to see if there's a Gator entry in Add/Remove Programs Control Panel first.
    If yes, remove it here first, then let spybot get rid of any leftovers.

Add *.gator.com to the Restricted Sites Zone afterwards
    (Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Options -> Security)

Spyware Blaster (prevents spyware from being installed)
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/spywareblaster.html

5. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, I followed your instructions and did the scanreg/restore, then did the spybot update and then the spybot check and fix. Everything looks good. Should I go into the registry and look to see if Gator is on my registry still, or just leave things alone? I really appreciate this help.

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

No-as long as your spybot is updated it is a great product and should clear gator completely.

7. cnm

cnm

brendandonhu, right. And laurfar, if it's in the registry and Spybot detects it there, spybot will remove it from the registry and make a backup. There is rarely if ever any need to go poking around in the registry yourself.

8. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

I'm set then. Thanks everyone. *Ü*

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

[tsg-yourewelcome][/tsg]

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice