1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: General XP problems (BSOD) my friend keeps having - Help much appreciated!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lightning89, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightning89

lightning89 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has been having computer problems as of late, and we're not quite sure what is causing it. He describes the symptoms as his internet connection keeps mysteriously dropping or disconnecting, and he randomly gets Blue Screens. I'm no real expert on computers, but he's had the 'downloader', 'fake alert' and 'taskdir' viruses lately, and i'm guessing that they could be what is causing it. He's tried tonnes of scanners and stuff, but none seem to get rid of them.

Anyway, he took the number down written on the blue screen which is;
    '*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xe3914000, 0x00000000, 0x804f2830, 0x00000001)'

I've also asked him to do a Hi-Jack this log, here are the results;

I hope this helps, and if anyone has any idea what the problem may be or how to fix it comments would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot for your time.

- Lee

2. mcse72

mcse72

First off he has Spyware files running on startup, these 3 for example:
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Nord] C:\WINDOWS\system32\nordsys.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [system spool] C:\WINDOWS\system32\syspools.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Agent] C:\WINDOWS\system32\alsys.exe

First thing to do is to download AdAware or Spybot S&D (which are free) to get rid of this and whatever other infections he has. This will also probably take care of the blue screen issue as well.

3. lightning89

Ah, thanks alot for replying! However, my friend has both SpyBot and Ad-Aware among other anti-spyware apps and it doesn't seem to be getting rid of them. Is there any way he can un-install them or just delete them manually?

4. mcse72

mcse72

Before deleting keys in the registry manually, (which can be risky with one wrong deletion) try and download the free trial of SpySweeper here: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spysweeper.html In my experience this is the best program on the market right now to get rid of spyware, including registry entries. You might even considering purchasing it for active protection. I did, and have had a dramatic downturn in any spyware problems. Let us know how it goes.

5. lightning89

Awesome, i'll let him know when I see him on MSN tomorrow if he doesn't see this topic himself. I may also consider downloading SpySweeper myself to see what it's like. At the moment I just use Ad-Aware, SpyBot and Microsoft AntiSpyware to rid my PC of the stuff. Looking at other sites it has reviews higher then those too, thanks for letting me know about it and i'll reply after he's made the scan with the info. =)

6. grandma77

grandma77

We are suppose to wait for a security moderator to read the hijack log. If we do not have a shield next to our name we are not suppose to interpret them..it is in the forum rules.

7. lightning89

Oh right, though this still doesn't mean mcse72's advice isn't correct, does it? We'll still try out the SpySweeper programme later today and if a secuity mod could read the log it'd be much appreciated. =]

8. grandma77

grandma77

I only told you the rules because I wanted you to be careful about the advice you take. The moderators are trained to help you with the problems. If you want help with this you will probably have to request a moderator because there have been many posts added to your thread and they will think someone is already helping you.

9. lightning89

Thanks for all your help. My friend says that the BSODs have suddenly dissapeard, which may be due to performing the SpySweeper as advised earlier. I think he still has the viruses mentioned earlier, but we're sure we can get rid of those via other means. Thanks again,

- Lee

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice