1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Get huge speed drop on ethernet cable not on wireless!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by guuscaspers, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guuscaspers

guuscaspers Thread Starter

Hi,

I just bought a new router the ASUS RT-N56U .

After setting it up getting ISP provided information everything seemed to work fine but i then i done a speedtest with the ethernet cable plugged in and it would start off at 8Mb/s then would instantly drop to less than 0.5 Mb/s Here is a picture of what it looks like http://prntscr.com/7z9jcl I don't know how to fix it because when im on wireless only it works perfectly fine is there anything i can do?

2. 99taws6

99taws6

There are a lot a variables. How is your cable made? Is it a store bought cable? Did you make it? Is it run or is it just laying on the floor run from router to PC? A little more info might help but ultimately it might come down to without being there to test the actual cable and NiC we won't be able to know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. guuscaspers

well, the cable is store bought and it used to work fine with my old router i never changed any bit of my setup besides changing routers i know its not the cable since it worked fine on old router.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. guuscaspers

well see my internet is a lot different from others i dont have the standard cable that comes through the wall since i live in the countryside a wire comes from a small satellite box which then a wire connects to this small little plug into the wall which has an ethernet connection and then an ethernet cable from that goes to my ASUS router and im only using the ASUS router on its own i dont have a modem connecting to it, and i had to set it up using a information like an account name and password provided by my ISP otherwise it didnt work until i typed that in right and i had to type in certain i.p information, i can post a picture of my setup to my router if its needed but the only thing that has changed is my router i replaced my old TP-LINK router with this new ASUS one and i had to type in the same information into the TP-LINK router as i did with the ASUS. So that might be more information for you? if you need more please ask and ill go in depth with screenshots etc. Ill check the manual and see if it helps!

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have zero knowledge of how satellite internet works so I'll bow out and let someone who knows answer.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The problem is almost definitely a defective router LAN port, defective cable, or defective NIC. You need to determine which.

In case it's a defective router LAN port and not all are bad you can begin by trying different ports.

Most likely it's the cable.

8. guuscaspers

but how can it be the cable? considering that it worked fine until i changed the router/modem. I know if i put my old router back in place it will work fine... so it cant be that and iv tried all ports and still no fix.. i dont know what else i can try?

9. guuscaspers

So this is kind of stupid on my behalf , so when i was changing router i left in my old router cables since they were the same connections and the other one didnt reach to where i had my router situated so i decided to replace those cables and then try and it worked :) thanks for all the help

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

Because in changing the modem/router you had to touch (unplug and reconnect) the cable. Not saying that you have an evil touch, but there could have been any number of things wrong with the cable or connector that just didn't show up until the cable/connector was moved, even slightly.

11. guuscaspers

It wasn't the ethernet cable :) it was the power cable and cable that connects my router to the internet.. but yes thanks for your help

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!