Solved: Get rid of security on Win NT 4.0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sjlacour

I have an old computer that I got from work as a freebie. I'd like to get it hooked up to my home network. However, I am unable to do anything on this computer becuase I can only login as a user (with my user name and passowrd), giving me very limited access to install programs, delete programs, and get the rig on the home network.

Is there any way I can wipe out everything and get rid of the security restrictions? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, Scott

sjlacour

Worked, thanks. I was a little afraid to try that before some reassuarance!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I am wondering if you can still run Windows Update on an NT4 box. If you can't, your in for a hell of a ride while surfing the Internet.

bearone2

Banned
nt is a dinosaur, not hardware friendly, w2k is much better if you don't want xp.

sjlacour

Actually, I did install XP Pro. That's all I have around here. The NT 4.0 was on the computer, whihch was installed from work (I never had any sfotware for NT 4.0 here at the house). The CPU is a PII with only 64 MB RAM, which I thought was under the mins for XP, but it installed and is running.

One more question, if you would (it doesn't exactly apply directly to this forum, but now that we're a little off the subject...): The copy of XP I installed on this box I also installed on another cmptr previously. When I installed last night, I didn't go through the registration, so I have 30 days until I need to register. If I recall, when XP came out there was so big to-do about XP could only be installed on only 1 machine....so is Bill Gates coming to my house with his uzi after my 30th day, or is XP going to stop working on this machine after that time? No big deal, I don't have a problem getting the software again, I'm just using this XP copy as a "test" anyway, and it worked.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online