Hi, I am really hoping you can help me, because I have tried everything. A friend asked me to help him with his computer, as I am pretty techie. He has a Toshiba L355D-S7901 with an Atheros AR5007EG wireless adaptor. He didn't renew the Trend Micro that came with his computer and has been running for six months with no protection! I couldn't believe it. All kinds of windows were popping up, it was a real mess. The computer is running Vista SP1. I have cleaned it up, and connection is there, but I still cannot get online. Here is what I did:
- I ran Malwarebytes and got rid of over 600 infected files and programs. I uninstalled Trend Micro and installed free Avira Anti-virus, which scanned and found 12 more viruses. I quarantined and removed all files. But one file cannot be deleted: Windows\System32\drivers\zaljvnzmw.sys. I even located it myself and it WILL NOT delete.
- No more windows popping up, but occasionally I get a message, like Host Process for Windows Services not found.
- I still cannot get internet.
- I went to Device manager, and noticed the 4to6 adaptors had no drivers. These shouldn't be necessary. Uninstalled them, and they did not reinstall on startup. But I'm not too worried about this.
- Went to Toshiba's website on another computer and downloaded the latest driver for the wireless adaptor. Uninstalled the adaptor (including software) and installed the new driver. Disabled Windows Firewall and Avira--still no getting online
- ran ipconfig, got ip addresses. pinged the router, got back replies
- Re-enabled Firewall and Avira--I sure don't want any more viruses!--but I am stuck.