1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Getting data off old XP hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AstroNut, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

I upgraded to Win7 x64 about a year ago, I basically just removed a good working 500gb WD green drive and installed a new WD Black 1TB drive and installed Win7 on it, now I wanted to go back and pull some data off the old drive and since it still has an operating system on it I put it in a external case, but when I hook it up by USB 3.0 the computer does not show the drive unless I go into Disc Management where I can see it but it's listed as...

Disk 3
    Dynamic
    Invalid

The right click options are Convert to basic disk or Reactivate Disk, I know I don't want to Convert but will choosing Reactivate fix it to where I can get the data off of it? Thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

Isn't there an import option when you right click? Try just adding it as a second drive internally to see if it is recognized.

3. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

That was the first thing I tried, the computer would not boot at all.

No option for that.

4. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

You could always try using a Puppy Linux live cd to recover your data if you don`t get there the way you are trying.

5. lehatche

lehatche

You could put the XP drive in as boot drive and disconnect the Win 7 drive. After XP has loaded copy the files you want onto a flash drive or if you have another HDD large enough to handle all the files, put it into the external case. You should then be able to get your old files on the Win 7 drive. I have run ito this problem several times when people have upgraded to a Win 7 machine from an XP one.

6. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

I just tried that and got an error...Reboot and select proper boot device
    I changed the bios to select the drive first and that didn't help.

7. lehatche

lehatche

I have seen HDD's go bad in storage. You might want to double check that SATA and power cable are connected good to MB and drivev and that Bios is set to HDD first boot. I have had to try HDD's several times to get them to boot after storage. If that doesn't work you may have accidently corrupted the boot sector. You might try putting an XP OS disk in and do a system repair to make it bootable.

8. LoveGoldens

LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    Did you set the switches on the older XP drive to be a "SLAVE' drive? If you didn't, and that drive has an OS on it, it will try to boot. If you want to have your new Windows see that drive so that you can read and copy files from the older drive, you don't want it trying to boot up.

EDITED: Sorry, if I got off-track a bit. I missed seeing that you are trying to get data off of another computer via USB.

I've always mounted the old drive into my current system (after changing the pin locations to set it as a Slave drive). Sorry for the confusion.

9. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

This is a SATA drive, is this still required? I have hooked other SATA drives up this way and they worked, but it was a XP drive in a XP computer.

10. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

Well, I figured it out, I have 3 drives in the computer, a SSD for the operating system and 2 other storage drives, not sure why but when I remove one of my extra hard drives and replace it with the XP drive the computer won't boot, but if I choose the other drive it will boot, and I can see the files, mystery? Anyway I got the files I needed, thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice