1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: getting emails and addresses off hard drive to another computer

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kjdooris, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

i need to get the files off a windows 2000 pc and onto a new windows xp computer.

i have to use a bootdisc to access the windows 2000 files, and just need to know which files i need from windows 2000, and where to put them in windows XP.

thanks

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

Which email programme are you using? (on the old comp)

3. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

oh sorry, was in a hurry earlier - its outlook express on 2000, and outlook on XP

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Your Outlook Express files will have the extension .DBX

You'll need to search for them on the old PC and copy to the new PC. I'm not sure if Outlook can open .DBX files diretly for import so you will likley need to reconfigure Outlook Express on the new PC to use the old .DBX files first. Just search for the .DBX files on the new machine and delete them and replace with the old ones you copied from the 2000 machine. If you do not want to delete your old .DBX files just copy them to a different backup directory of your choice. Make sure Outlook Express is closed or you will not be able to delete/replace with the old ones. Once Outlook Express is configured correctly, Outlook should have an option to import the settings from OE.

Regards,
    Rollin

5. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Outlook email addresses are stored in a file with the suffix WAB

filename.wab

hth

Ceri

6. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

good stuff, thank you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice