1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: getting remote access to my server

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by gib88, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

Sorry if this topic is in the wrong section. Not sure where it goes.

I would like to setup my server to allow remote access from home. It's on an office network which is separated from the WAN by a router. So long as I'm on this network, I can access the server from any computer connected to it. I enter the https URL of my server through IE and it brings me to the helm interface (the one that comes with Windows Server 2003). I can click on Maintenance and then on Remote Desktop, and it opens a new window with the server's desktop displayed.

If I'm somewhere other than the office network, I can't access it. IE gives me a "can't find webpage" message (or something along those lines). How do I setup my server to access it from outside the office network. I'd prefer to have a similar graphical interface as Remote Desktop.

2. cams-dad

cams-dad

You should be able to access it from anywhere using the MS remote desktop client that ships with xp. The catch is that you have to set your router up to forward all remote desktop requests (port 3389) to your server's ip. From the outside, put IP that your ISP assigns to your router in the remote desktop client and it should open up a login screen. The other option would be to set up an IPSEC connect on your router (if it will let you). Then you connect to your router with IPSEC VPN and it's like your on your network... where ever you are.

3. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the help cams-dad. I finally got it working.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/607914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice