Solved: Getting rid of 169.254._._ ip

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mannyp22

Okay so here's the deal. I have two wireless networks being fed off of one cable modem. I am using Linksys wireless routers. I set up the initial router with a static IP and to control dhcp. The second router is located in another area but being fed by the same high-speed internet. It is set up with a different network name and WEP key. It worked in the past but recently has stopped working. the wireless network shows up but I am getting the Automatic IP addressing scheme of 169.254._._. How can I get into that router to set up it's dhcp? I can get into the first router I programmed just fine and all of it's settings are correct but I don't know how to get into the second router. Hopefully my explanation isn't too convoluted but if you need further explanation let me know.

TerryNet

Terry
Connect to it by ethernet and login to it. If its Dhcp server is disabled and you forget its IP address or don't know the login account/password you can reset it to factory default settings.

mannyp22

That's kind of where my question comes in. I've always logged on via the 192.168.1.1 (or in this case 192.168._._ default that we set the router to) but I'm confused as to how this will work since I have two wireless routers in use over the same internet connection. If I type in the default IP (192.168._._) then I can connect to the first router that is on the network but I need to get into the second router and change it's settings. Does the linksys give it a different default address in this situation or how does that work? Any ideas?

mannyp22

to clarify further...I can get into the first router. The way this network was set up there are two SSID's and two WEP keys according to where you are in the house. the first SSID lets say is network1. I am able to get into this router and see it. However when I connect to the second SSID, let's say network2, I am given an Automatic Private IP (169.254._._) How do I get into that second router?

TerryNet

Terry
You've mentioned parts of your network but haven't actually described how it's all put together nor told us how to interpret "first router" and "second router." However, that doesn't really matter. My post # 2 describes how to access it. If you reset it to factory default settings your user manual will give any additional details you need.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts