1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Getting rid of "incomplete" files in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ron the Geek, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ron the Geek

Ron the Geek Thread Starter

Normally, I have no problem getting rid of files in an "incomplete" folder by simply selecting and deleting them. I have some files on an eMachines laptop, however, that just won't budge. And, of course, they are part of adult files—you know the ones with the extremely long names—that I really need to get rid of. Left my utilities disk at home but hoping that Unlocker might do the trick when I retrieve it at lunch. If not, or if someone has another idea, please advise!! Thanks!
    RTG :cool:

2. Ron the Geek

Okay, Unlocker was of no help. I fixed it, but I would like some clarification from someone out there as to why... I simply went to the command prompt and deleted them there. What I would like to know is why. Why couldn't they be deleted in Windows but could be at the command prompt? Thanks!
    RTG:confused:

3. bonk

bonk Banned

Maybe the file was being used by some process....had it happen to me a couple of times....were you trying to delete what was in the folder or the folder it self?

4. Ron the Geek

I tried everything while in Windows: Deleting one file at a time, both .mpg's, the folder... The thing is, I wasn't in safe mode or anything—so I guess I didn't stop any running processes. I just went to the command prompt and used the "del" command (aahh, the old DOS days...) and without a whimper, they were gone. Weird.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice