1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Getting rid of Norton Systemworks - like gum on a shoe

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rkbristol, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkbristol

rkbristol Thread Starter

I've got a 2004 version of Norton Systemworks that I wish I had never installed. It appears impossible to get rid of this program. I've tried every uninstall avenue I can think of and I'm left with several Norton 'residual' files in both the Program Files folder and also in the control panel - add/remove programs list. Any and all of these produce error messages that won't allow me to delete whatever is remaining and refer to numerous missing files.

I even wrote to Symantec support twice and they never had the courtesy to reply.

Help - all ideas welcome!!!

Thanks,
    Rob

Attached Files:

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

3. DCM1519

DCM1519

All of the problems you have encountered are the reason that I took all Norton Products off my computer 3 years ago except an old version of Partition Magic (written by PowerQuest), WinFax (written by CAERE), and Norton Ghost (written by someone else and altered by Symantec. It still works well except I cannot get Ghost 10 to install).

I still buy the Partition Magic and Ghost though whenever they are free after rebates. I hope that someday they will stop invading and taking over our computers without our permission.

That said, a recent posting on this site mentioned a Systemworks removal tool available from Symantec. I downloaded it to look at it and it appears to be newer than the last one I have which did not do the job.

If all else fails, you can do what I did after encountering the same problems. I installed the offending application, did a Windows Explorer search for "Norton", "Symantec", and "Systemworks" and removed everything that looked like it referred to Systemworks.

Next, I ran "Regedit" (Start, Run, type in the word "regedit", hit "enter", then use it to search for those same words in the registry. I found several hundred and had to delete them one by one.

If it happened today, instead of using Regedit first, I would try running a strong registry cleaner such as "RegSeeker" (freeware)(delete ONLY the items in green fonts).

(Then read every one of the ones in red fonts to see if they refer to Systemworks before deleting them). Do NOT just delete everything they list.

Another good registry cleaner that I have found is in SystemSuite by VCOM. I got it to replace Norton Systemworks and have never had even one problem with it in 3 years.

Other choices might be Easycleaner (freeware) which works well and fast. Don't know if it is as aggressive as the others I listed.

Your comment about their tech support is right on. When I first tried Norton Ghost 10, it would not install. Got an email with many reasons why it wouldn't but no live person. At the bottom, it said if this doesn't solve your problem, click "xxx". I did and got no response so I promptly sent it back under their refund policy. Three or four weeks later, I got an email response to my last attempt and it would not have solved the problem either if I had kept Ghost 10.

Until they developer better products and at least make an attempt at real tech support, I will no longer buy and use their products. So far, after 3 years away from them, I have not had any problems that another program would not easily remedy without the Symantec headaches.

Note: After reading another reply, I realized that I had typed RegClean instead of Regseeker. It is a very aggressive program and the first time, I deleted everything they recommended. Crashed my computer. From then on, I only do as described above and have never had a problem since. It does backup whatever it removes.

4. sekirt

sekirt

I don't use Norton but I took on the job of first cleaning out an old version and then installing a new version on a computer.

Regseeker is another good registry cleaner - however don't use it. It is too aggressive. Had to put everything from the backup back in. Then there was a problem installing the new version.

sekirt

5. junker39

junker39

6. rkbristol

rkbristol Thread Starter

Thanks - it worked!!!!! At last I'm free. I've also been using Zone Alarm for quite awhile and recently AVG - which is just fine.

Thanks again.

7. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Glad you were able to get the problem fixed. :)
    You can mark your thread "Solved" from the Thread Tools drop down menu.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice