1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Getting The Message GFxUI has Stopped Working At Start Up.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jack1000, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I need suggestions for how to fix this on my Windows 7 computer,

The problem started today. All that has been applied was Automatic Windows Updates. The error message goes away as soon as it comes up. I have looked on-line all day for various advice and fixes but nothing has worked!

A computer guru is likely going to help me with this, because I don't want to mess up my computer and have to reinstall Windows. UGHHHH! This is a Dell PC running Windows 7. Windows is all up to date. This is what I have done so far:

1.) I ran System File Checker
    2.) Ran Check Disk
    3.) System File Checker said it found a few errors that it could not fix.
    4.) I also turned the Windows Net Framework On enabling 3.5, no change.
    5.) I do not have Net. Framework 3.5 on my system. I have the latest one, 4.5. I checked and Net Framework 3.5 according to Microsoft is not supported by Windows 7.
    6.) Other options include updating drivers. I was led to a scam site at one of the Windows 7 forums, so I did not install the recommended driver update software.

What suggestions have you guys had in fixing this error, other than having to reinstall Windows? Thanks!

Jack

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm not sure where you read that misinformation. Windows 7 shipped with .Net 3.5! We currently have four computers in the house running Windows 7 and all four of them have .NET 3.5 on them. Two are 64 bit Home Premium, one is 32 bit Home Premium and the last is 32 bit Pro.

Read about it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/ar...rk-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx

Aaron Stebner is the go-to-guy for anything related to NET framework.

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Thanks!

Yea, the 3.5 Net Framework for Windows 7 is now under Windows Settings. (Turn Windows Settings on and off.) Update on my issue. I installed the latest Intel Graphics Drivers for my system, which did nothing. Did a System Restore to the day before I applied those Net Framework Updates. (I have Windows Update set to Automatic.) Reinstalled all important Windows Updates except for Net Framework and the problem is gone! (I hid those updates.) Obviously there was (or is.) a bug somewhere with the new Net Framework Updates relating to my system that were released this month.

For years, even when I had Windows XP, despite fast Internet, anytime MS would release an NET Framework update it would take forever to download. What does the NET Framework do? I always thought it was used to compliment Programmer Software from MS like Visual C++ and Visio Studio. But for a user who never users those programs, the NET Framework making that an important update, seems to be more trouble than it's worth. And if you ever need to uninstall MS Net Framework, you get a warning about it. Than people say, that if you choose to reinstall, you should do each package one by one.

A bit too much work IMO.

Jack

4. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Solved!

The process was involved though. I had to create a System Restore Point BEFORE the Windows Update. Guessing that Microsoft Net Framework updates messed up my Graphics Driver. After the restore was successful, I had to check for Updated Drivers from Intel's Website. Found one, installed it.

Problem went away, but on Reboot/Restart I the system had reverted back to an older video driver. The System Restore had confused the new driver update. The new driver had been uinstalled, but the video card settings were wonky. I had to go back and reinstall the video driver. On restart everything was normal. I also was able to successfully reapply the three hidden updates talked about above with no problems.

I had to manually update my AV (MSE) as well as re-set my timed weekly backup settings. If you get this message, and the options available on-line don't help you, it may be necessary to do a system restore, than a driver update, than check any software that runs on a timed scan and update that as well.

Jack

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice