1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ghost clone ready to install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Boothbay, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

HI, a few days ago for the first time, I decided to make a clone of my C drive ( XP-SP3 ) onto my external hd. It was done with Norton Ghost. All went well it seems. Now, by an unpleasant coincidence, I have to install the clone, and I am at the step of not knowing how to do this. Do I delete the original C drive on my desktop and then install the clone in its place? In that way, would the clone be boot able? The original HD has only 10 GB's of free space, so I cannot add the clone to it. The external drive clone needs at least 28 GB. Would it be feasible to exchange drives, if so, again would that be boot able as a primary? BTW, I am assuming that the clone copied all those blue updates that shows up in Windows, or would I have to clone all those updates again? BTW, the hard drives involved are ide. Thanks

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

3. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Thanks...that link is for Ghost 15...mine like I said in my op is Ghost 14. Regardless, I checked that guide and I couldn't find anything about cloning...most of it seems to be about backups...are backups the same as cloning? I think not.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

I doubt there is much difference between 14 and 15, but to do the restore of the clone you will have to free up enough space on the hard drive, preferably by formatting the entire drive.

What exactly has gone wrong that makes you feel you need to do this.

5. Lance1

Lance1

6. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

How do I get it?

7. Lance1

Lance1

Click Download Now Go back to the site and follow the instruction.

8. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

WOw it says 19 minutes to download and very large size...telll me why do I need this disc just to replace my C drive with the clone one?

9. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Either the Ghost 14 installation disk should be bootable, or there should be a link to the program in your Start menu under Ghost to create one. Then you would boot from that disk, and walk through the process to restore the image back to your drive.

10. Lance1

Lance1

This is the recovery disk you should have created. Burn it to disk, boot from it, and point it to the location of the image that you created and restore that image.

11. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I went to the Ghost forum and found out what may have caused my problem, to need to copy my C Drive. I found that Ghost, by default deletes cache files, temporary files and some other programs...Now, I can get on my browsers AOL, Firefox with no problem, but cannot get almost all of my exe files to open. I cannot use command prompt, system restore, or even some of my hot micro's. Never realized that these programs could create such problems just by trying to copy or clone a drive.

12. Rearden

Rearden Banned

If you restore your Ghost image file, everything should run without a problem.

13. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Well could u tell me how to go about installing the image file? I have one made, but in the meantime i got so impatient waiting and trying different tactics that I just decided to reinstall my original disc but it was the one without sp2 or sp3. I do have those disc. Now after installing windows and I arrive at the log in where it asks for my password, I enter the same as before, but denied. Being a new installation, why would it ask me for my password? Specified domain either does not exit or could not be contacted....try again or consult system administrator A few years ago I had installed this same disc and never got that problem. Either way it says I'm screwed. Maybe i would have better luck with the image, but how can i get on my desktop, when it won't log me on?

14. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You restore the Ghost image using the Ghost boot disk. That's either your Ghost installation disk or the restore disk you created after you installed Ghost. Boot from it, and select the Ghost image from the drive or disk where it's stored.

If you've reinstalled Windows XP from your original restore or installation disk, the Administrator account password is whatever you set it to when you installed Windows XP.

15. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I know, I tried that, but my pc won't aknowledge the recovery disc, even with my bios boot is setup with the cd rom first.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice