1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: GIF not displayed in firefox 8.0.1

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by karaman, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

hallo,

have looked at some similar issues and checked my settings but firefox 8.0.1 on win 7 home premium will not display GIF files. - see attachments

What i have done to help myself
    1. Under Tools--> Options -->content ---> load images automatically box is checked and under 'exceptions', there are none to be found. so going by previous correspondence in this forum, that all seems ok.
    2.under Tools---> addons---> active plugins are a) canon printer image gateway (but problem existed before that was installed)and b) shockwavwe flash 11.01.152 - dont know when/ how that got there.

stuck. no idea what to do but its annoying that i cant see sites i might want to buy stuff from. besides, this is supposed to be a good lappy, its supposed to be able to do simple stuff like display a GIF. but then what do i know? grrrrrr

help please you gurus out there, pretty please.

karaman

Attached Files:

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

I'm not sure what you think should be displayed, but in your second screenshot the tab says (GIF Image, 1x1 pixel...) which is a single dot, 1 pixel high x 1 pixel wide which would be practically invisible to the naked eye at anything but the lowest resolution.
    Click this link http://b.tsgstatic.com/smilies/redface.gif and you should see the red face smiley in the upper left corner of the window. If you can, then you are displaying GIF's.

3. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

hallo throoper,

i can see the little smiley so i suppose my GIF is working.

in the google reply to my search i clicked on the heading of the first result and got the GIF 1x1 report. Now, having typed into the URL www.orange.co.uk/ChristmasGiftBox it returns 404 not found. so does that mean next time i get this GIF 1x1 report i have found a page that no longer exists?

cheers

karaman

4. TOGG

TOGG

5. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

thank you togg but i would have got there in the end.

the point was that i thought my GIF file display wasnt working.

all sorted now i think, will run with throoper's explanation that GIF 1 x 1 i suppose means a site that no longer exists.

cheers and thanks

karaman

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Just to clarify, GIF 1x1 doesn't mean a site that no longer exists. It simply means whatever link you clicked took you to a webpage where the only thing there to display was a 1pixel square GIF image. It was probably just a bad link directing you to it or a server error at the web site. Just a weird thing that sometimes happens.

7. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

thasnk you throoper for clear and succinct explanation. sorted. karaman

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!