Solved: Gigabit crossover cable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TerraRizA

I was just wondering if such a thing exists, I was going to buy a crossover cable off eBay, and the majority of them only support 10/100 mpbs connections, however there are a rare few, cat5e crossover cables that apparently support 'Gigabit'. Is it possible?

TerryNet

Terry
Yes. However, I think that all gigabit ethernet ports are auto sensing (MDI/MDIX) so a cross-over cable is not needed. Just a regular patch cable with all 8 wires working.

Early gigabit nics did not support mdi-x, it was an optional standard, but I think all of them these days do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Automatic MDI/MDI-X Configuration is specified as an optional feature in the 1000BASE-T standard[1], meaning that straight-through cables will often work between Gigabit capable interfaces. This feature eliminates the need for crossover cables, making obsolete the uplink/normal ports and manual selector switches found on many older hubs and switches and greatly reducing installation errors. Note that although Automatic MDI/MDI-X is generally implemented, a crossover cable would still be required in the occasional situation that neither of the connected devices has the feature implemented and enabled. Prior to the 1000Base-T standard, using a crossover cable to connect a device to a network accidentally, usually meant wasted time troubleshooting the resulting lack of connection, but with this standard in place, that is no longer a concern.
Modern switches automatically apply an internal crossover when necessary. Besides the eventually agreed upon Automatic MDI/MDI-X, this feature may also be referred to by various vendor-specific terms including: Auto uplink and trade, Universal Cable Recognition and Auto Sensing.

TerraRizA

Ah, I see now, thanks for tha saved me from wasting a couple of quid, and probably a couple of hours worth of effort trying to use it. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online