1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Gmail.com unreachable/unavailable all on browsers

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by swapman, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swapman

swapman Thread Starter

Hi,
    When I try to go to gmail.com on my desktop PC, it gives me a message that the page is unavailable.
    It happens in Chrome, Firefox and IE.
    I can go to gmail.com just fine on all other devices, like my phone, laptop and other computers, so I assume my desktop PC is to blame.
    I disabled my Bitdefender Security's antivirus, firewall and its other tools but to no avail.
    I used Ccleaner and other tools to clean history, cookies, traces etc. and that didn't help either.
    I scanned the computer with Bitdefender and Malbytes, and they found no viruses or other harmful stuff.
    I would really appreciate your assistance.

2. Sponsor

3. geek117

geek117

The page gmail.com doesn't actually exist, the proper link is mail.google.com. This works via a redirect. Are you able to resolve anything at all on that PC? Can you try to update your DNS settings on that box to verify that is not the issue?

http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/network/dns.html

You can use google public dns servers to replace any currently configured (or autoconfigured) DNS servers:

4. swapman

swapman Thread Starter

I use many other devices on the same network and they all work fine in this manner. I can get to other mail sites via my PC.
    Also mail.google.com gives the same results.

5. geek117

geek117

Yes, I get that. But in the nature of troubleshooting the problem have you tried my above suggestion?

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Gmail is on secure http, or https.

Make sure the time settings are correct on your computer and modem/router.

7. swapman

swapman Thread Starter

Well I have not updated the DNS settings since I don't know how to, but I found out something.
    When I turn off the "scan ssl" option in Bitdefender anti-phishing/privacy tool, i can access gmail. When I turn it back on, I can't. On my laptop, however, I can access gmail when "scan ssl" option is on.

8. geek117

geek117

What version of Internet Explorer do you have installed on this problem computer?

9. swapman

swapman Thread Starter

I have IE 11. Also the problem occurs in Chrome and Firefox too.

10. swapman

swapman Thread Starter

Anybody?

11. geek117

geek117

Did this only start happening after upgrading to IE11? Do your other computers which work have the same IE version? It makes me wonder if this is possibly a compatibility issue between your anti-virus and that particular version of IE. You could attempt to roll back to a previous version...

12. swapman

swapman Thread Starter

The roll back to IE9 did not help

13. geek117

geek117

Are you able to create an exception for these pages in your anti-virus software on this particular computer?

14. swapman

swapman Thread Starter

15. swapman

swapman Thread Starter

SOLVED!
    I uninstalled and re-installed Bitdefender and the problem got solved.
    Thanks for your efforts.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117059