1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Gmail: no file type on attached file which is a forwarded email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by kagemi, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kagemi

kagemi Thread Starter

Receiving forwarded emails as attachments in Gmail. Only 2 options to access, View Text and Download.
    Download doesn't work since there is no file type extension. View Text not acceptable since images can't be seen. Any ideas on how I can open this file in Gmail or convert it somehow.?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What are you using to try to download it? Exactly where in the process does it refuse to download? Any error message?

If you can get it downloaded you can choose an application or rename it with the correct extension if you know it.

3. kagemi

kagemi Thread Starter

When I click on the attachment I get 2 options, ViewText or Download. Download says it can't do it since the file has no file type. If I knew the file type I would set the proper program to open it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What browser or email client are you using?

5. kagemi

kagemi Thread Starter

G M A I L, Internet Explorer, Win 7 Premium

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You must have some setting that blocks the download. I tried downloading a gmail attachment with no extension using IE9 in Windows 7 Home Premium and got a popup at the bottom of IE asking if I wanted to save the file; it downloaded after I responded 'yes.' See attachment.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice