1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: god knows wats wrong but somethin is broked.. prob device manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Whiteym, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whiteym

Whiteym Thread Starter

ok people brace yourself for this one...

my computer is connected to my house network through a usb wireless device and it has worked fine since i got it. i use p2p programs often and found that the limit on half-open connections is too low for me so i set out to find a fix after finding many sites that resommened and used the lvllord fix for this i got it and ran it. it said i had to reboot which i decided 2 do since i had also installed a utility for a new mouse that i got, which also needed a reboot.

so i rebooted my comp, can connect to the network fine, signal strength good, dhcp is working, but i cant access anything on the network. i cant get google, the router, the modem or even other computers on the network. so i think that the patch did somethin bad to the tcpip.sys file when i ran it so i hit the unistall button on it (though it says that the limit is still at 10 andnot 50 which is wat i changed it to??) i hit unistall, says it failed somethin 2 do with windows changin the file or somethin. anyway i thought that possibly the utility i installed did somethin (very remote, but nonetheless) so i unistalled it and rebooted, nuthin.

so i tried disconnecting the usb dongle and running a network cable and hooray it all works again. so that ruled out the .sys file being bad. so i thought id unistall the usb dongle and reinstall (maybe the driver didnt like the patch). but device manager locked up.

so i thought ah well, deal with it later gunna watch a video then maybe listen to some music. start itunes, says theres somethin wrong with my sound config and that it might not work. itunes wont even attempt to play a file, start up windows media player, runs the video fine but no sound. so i start the sound recorder to see if that will fix it (have seen this before so...) but it locks up when i hit record. tried to use device manager to uninstall the ac97 audio codec to see if that fixes the problem. but alas, it locks up.

so thats the background. im not to sure if either of the 2 things that i mentioned are the cause because my computer is rarely switched off or restarted. but i am still unsure as to whether or not device manager has kicked the bucket. but i have been looking at doing a repair install but im holding off because i have a huge amount of installed software that i dont want to have to reinstall and re-setup.

i have already tried system restore, it didnt work sayin that nothing has changed and ive tried the system file checker that did diddley squat as well.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this without the use of a hammer??
    thanks

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You may have a corrupted winsock protocol. First I'd uninstall whatever you installed, or if there is a config to reset the default settings -- use it.

Then do this:

Start > run: cmd and at the prompt enter:

netsh winsock reset catalog

(applies to XPSP2 only)

and reboot.

Frankly your use of P2P raises issues of malware as well.

3. Whiteym

Whiteym Thread Starter

i use avg anitvirus and avg antispyware on my machine, and i reguarly run scans so i dont think malware and spyware or viruses are the problem.

also ive noticed some more interesting things since i started this thread, i tried to run scandisk but that locked up, as well as i attempted to copy dvd but the program that i reguarly use also locked up (which it has never done so before). also ive noticed that my computer no longer shuts down properly, it gets locked on the shutting down windows bit after it has finished with the group policies.

tis very annoying. thanks for the quick reply

edit: just occurred to me, if the winsock protocol was stuffed wouldnt that stop all network traffic from workin properly. since when i switched to the cable it started workin again???

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The typical behavior of a Winsock problem is that you can connect to your ISP, FTP servers, possibly your webmail -- and NOTHING else.

All those problems that you are mentioning now are probably independent of the connectivity problem. Perhaps you have malware or hardware problems.

I suggest you boot to Safe Mode with Networking support (that will give you basic connectivity) and see if the same problems exist there.

If they do, you either have hardware problems or a badly corrupted Windows installation.

5. Whiteym

Whiteym Thread Starter

i am running another scan for viruses and spyware 2 see wat that turns up. if windows is stuffed how could this happen so severely in one hit. and surely that patch and that program didnt do all this.

is there any way i can fix it without doing a complete reinstall because the sheer number of programs which i have installed and use reguarly will take easily more than a day 2 install and set up.
    also i have my doubts as to whether or not windows will successfully install if i have to do a complete install, since i built this machine myself, the damaged motherboard i recieved when i first set out building it, caused an intial failure in installing windows but that was replaced though i had my suspicion that it damaged the gpu's and in turn the new motherboard. i beleive has been the cause of several failures of components on the motherboard but none are critical, ie pci slots dont work, sli doesnt work, can only run one graphics card in 8x mode. though this all took place close to 2 years ago so i dont beleive they are the problem now theyre just my concerns on doing a fresh install.

i am planning to build a new comp and turn this one into a server, once i can source all the parts i want and the cash, but im worried about this vista crap with its compatibility requirements. so im not sure whether or not i should hold off.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Over the top reinstalls do not normally result in loss of data.

Verify you DO have connectivity with an ethernet cable? If so, it's not a winsock problem.

Try testing in Safe Mode and doing a clean boot for other problems.

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).

In Safe Mode –

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

Post a HijackThis scanlog, if and when you can:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

7. Whiteym

Whiteym Thread Starter

good news, after turning everything off and starting up, with the use of some colourful language i was able to coax the wireless network thingy into workin properly, also checked that checkdisc, sound, device manager and everything else that was stuffed is workin again.
    sweeeet!!

and yes i did havd full network access with the cable when the wireless wasnt workin.

how do u want hijack this log, with everything turned on or off

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well unless you have some remaining issues there would be no need for the log.

However I'd be glad to have a gander for any obvious malware programs. I'd want to refer you to the Security forum if I saw anything significant.

Perhaps you just had some problem with the integrity of the dongle connection.

9. Whiteym

Whiteym Thread Starter

baha found the slimy devil. it was the ANIWZCSd service. aint got the foggiest wat it does but im gunna kill it. it also has a related startup program so at least i can find where its installed. thanks for your help rollin rog

edit: did some searchin for it, turns out its used by my dlink wireless dongles utility (which i dont use) god knows y it caused the problems it did all of a sudden but newho doesnt matter it will die
    thanks again for your help

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome, glad to see you have sorted it out :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice