1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Good Grief {vcache, emm386 errors}

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by I_AM_SPARKY, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I_AM_SPARKY

I_AM_SPARKY Thread Starter

ok I'm not quite sure if this thread belongs here or not. but please if you can, HELP.

windows 98
    850MHZ AMD ATHALON , 400meg sdram
    tnt2 video, soundblaster live
    58k modem

everything was working fine yesterday when I went to work this morning when I got home my monitor was black:mad: and by that I'm referencing the color where there is supposed to be my desktop. LoL well I restart and it goes through the normal scandisk
    routine and nothing pops up as of errors that is instead when the windows screen pops up this pops up: "while initializing device VCACHE: windows protection error you need to restart you computer" tried running in safe mode no go tried running scan disk in dos no errors, tried this C:/win (enter) and it said that some file wasn't found if its important let me know in dos it wont recognize my cd rom but then again I don't think it is supposed to but I tried it to reinstall windows and it wont work, also the little floppy disk I made from windows wont work (autoexec.bat) I think is what your supposed to use anywho please help if you can thank!!!

jesse

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As I understand it, you have tried starting in safe mode, and are unable to? Do you get an error message?

You can try restoring a previous registry from a DOS prompt, using the command

scanreg /restore

(select a started registry dated prior to the problem from one of the 4 visible)

But it is very doubtful that will work.

If scandisk reported no errors, my suspicion is that you have had a ram failure. If you have more than one stick installed, try swapping out one at a time.

You can also try a software tester, DocMemory. Install it to a clean floppy and try booting with it like a startup disk. Let it run for a couple of "burnin" loops before pressing esc to terminate it.

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

See also:

How to Troubleshoot Windows Protection Error Messages

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

4. I_AM_SPARKY

k thank you guys so much for repling im going crazy with this thing

realm quick i tried to estore via the dos prompt first seems how thats the quickest easiest step to eliminate this is wha happened:

EMM386 has detected an error #a9 in an application at memory address 00b8:271c. to minimize the chance of data loss, EMM386 has halted your computer. Formore information, consult your documentation .

anyideas what this may mean?

oh yeah it then says to restart your computer, hit ENTER

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

6. I_AM_SPARKY

nooooooooooooooooooooo......

lol not what i wanted to hear lol, oh, ...well i tried the doc mem program that you told me about, thank you for that btw, and this popped up
    emm386 privileged operation error #a9- Deactivate emm386 and continue or reboot

what do you suggest i do?

to tire for stress,
    jesse

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I haven't seen anything referencing an a# 9 error. But I would remove all but one stick of ram and see if you still get the error; swap another one in if you do. If you can't isolate it to ram, I would be inclined to think the processor is burned, or perhaps needs to be reseated.

DocMemory is pretty basic, you are down to the nuts and bolts there.

8. I_AM_SPARKY

ok i guess ill just break down and take this tird apart :( the only thing i dont understand is when you restart it does the memory test and says its all good......... hmmm safe mode just loaded and it says error loading explorer.exe you must reload windows can i do this in safe mode?

9. I_AM_SPARKY

ok i click ok to load windows( in safe mode) and get this:
    the comctl32.dll file is linked to missing export gdi32dll:getnearestcolor

10. I_AM_SPARKY

another interesting but odd tidbit when i restarted my pc it went to the screen after you backup your register then it said to hit the space to reset then brought up a fatal oe now it is automaticlly starting up in safe mode with this new error

(explorer)
    this program has performed an illegel operation and will be shut down blah blah blah im sure you know the rest

11. I_AM_SPARKY

crap i meant to give you this here are the details:

explorer caused an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dllat 0177:bff7c854.
    registers:blah blah lots of numbers and letters
    stack dump blah blah lots of numbers and letters

then the error loading explorer.exe you must install windows

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You are getting a lot of errors due to file corruption. I don't know whether it is due to corruption on the hard disk, or corruption in memory due to ram or a bad processor. But one thing is certain, yoiu can't do anything unless if you cannot run any operation which uses extended memory.

13. I_AM_SPARKY

could a virus have possiblt done this?

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't think a virus would have caused the problem with DocMemory....unless the computer you created the disk on is also infected. Very remote possibility is that the BIOS is corrupted, which could be virus caused. But I can't rule it out.

15. I_AM_SPARKY

well einstein i just took this crap apart and be golly the new stick of ram i got the other week, seems to have been the problem, however im going to put it in the other slot to see if my mother board may have a problem ill let you know what i have discovered

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice