1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Good HDD, Junk PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mauipono, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mauipono

mauipono Thread Starter

I have an old compaq running win95 that I need to get files off of to transfer to a new pc running winxp. The old pc's floppy doesn't work, and rumor from the person who used to work on this pc is that he tried to replace the floppy drive but it still didn't work. I wanted to install a nic, but there is no floppy drive to read the driver files. I tried burning them onto a cd, but this computer will only read older cds. I tried going online via dial-up, but it will connect then hang. I also tried setting up direct cable connection with a Win98 pc, but it too didn't work. My question is, since the hard drive itself is fine, would it be okay to connect this hard drive to, say a Win98 computer as a slave, just to browse the files and take what I need? I've only installed a brand new blank hard drive as a slave, so I want to be sure I'm not in for any surprises before I try this. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Lisa.

2. n2gun

n2gun

You should have no problem hooking it up as a slave to a win 98 computer as a slave and getting the files you want.

3. carltasha

carltasha

4. mauipono

mauipono Thread Starter

Thanks n2gun and carltasha. It worked perfectly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice