1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Got a BIG problem booting up 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NateRD23, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NateRD23

NateRD23 Thread Starter

Alright, here is my problem. I have a PC that has 2000 on it in a continuous boot loop. Starts with the Dell screen goes through that, then goes through the Windows 2000 screen, and then it magically restarts. It continues to loop and never gets into windows.

I have tried going through the Recovery Console running fixboot chkdsk and fixmbr. I have tried booting it in safe mode, safe mode w/command prompt, last known good config. Tried doing a repair install but I dont have a repair disk.

ANY IDEAS!?!?!?!

2. pehbond

pehbond

you need to find the function key that allows u to stop the restart on boot error

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

With out the Windows install software you are kind of kaput. If this is the operating system that came on this computer I would suggest calling Dell and getting a new recovery disk even if you have to pay for it. THere is a way to do a repair to the system but you have to have the tools for it = Windows install disk.

4. NateRD23

NateRD23 Thread Starter

I was using a Windows2000 installlation disk I assumed that it would find something on it to do a repair on it. I really dont want to do a format on it. We (IT dept) not sure what the user has accidently saved to their harddrive or if we can recover any Outlook Express dbx files.

5. jhoegl

jhoegl

You are IT and you dont know how to recover files?

Interesting.

Perhaps you can hook the hard drive up to another computer and copy files from that.

6. NateRD23

NateRD23 Thread Starter

I am IT and I know how to recover files. I need a recovery disk which I do not have and I do not have time to talk to Dell and purchasing one involves approvals and the user needs her PC back to work. I began running the dell diagnostic test on the other partition on the C:\. Still going through that.

This is just a different problem that I havent really seen. I am able to explore the harddrive when placed in another PC but cant boot from it.

7. NateRD23

NateRD23 Thread Starter

We are running a windows scan on the harddrive. From what we have read it looks like something in the registry has been corrupted. The next course of action is to flash the bios.

8. jhoegl

jhoegl

what leads you to believe the registry is corrupted? How do you think flashing the CMOS will fix that? If the registry is corrupted, Id suggest copying files the user needs and reinstall the OS. Unless you can find out what is corrupted. Dell should have sent you those restore CDs.

9. NateRD23

NateRD23 Thread Starter

What leads me to believe it is something in the registry is because I read it to be something with the registry. Also, when booting in safe mode it stops at some .sys file (I cannot recall the name) which I then deleted and then tried again, but it still hung up around that spot. From the sites I have read it looks like it could be a number of things and the only solution that will probably work is to do a fresh install of the OS. Again, the samething goes with flashing the CMOS read on another forum site and thats what they did and it worked.

You have to try everything even though you might think it wont work. Even ran Dell diagnostic test and it passed. Looks like we'll format the harddrive. And we have loads of Dell restore CDs as well as the actually Windows 2000 disks. It'll be alright we were able to browse the harddrive when we put it in a different PC and we got the files that we needed off.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!