Solved: Got a phone call from overseas to say that my computer has a big problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

th0m0-6

Okay, I've never heard such news before about my computer being under threat from virus's etc...

Today i got a call from India saying that my computer is under threat. Now i wasn't sure if it was a scam or anything... but they told me to go to "Event Viewer"

from this they told me to click application and system to see how many errors and warnings the computer has gotten. doing so, the list was massive with information listed as well.

now i didn't know what to belive.. I have done a virus scan and found that there were trojans in quarrentine. 3 of them. They are now gone.. i hope..

Now these errors dates start back last october till today.

they also told me to go on this websitee http://www.onlinepccare.com
i couldn't talk more to at this time as at the moment my house is having bad internet issues....

Seeking some advice. (i know i get good advice here all the time ;)) I dont know what to do or think. Is this a serious problem?

thanks.

Mate, i wouldnt worry, theres no way that they would know that you have a problem, unless you installed some software to show them your pc info. Sounds like they got your number from somewhere and are trying to see if they can get you to sign up to something. Warnings in event viewer i wouldnt worry about its only errors, post any that are re-occuring and we can tell you whether you need to worry about them.

You are being fooled. There is no such problems in your computer. This is done just for making you buy their antivirus which is of no use or it may be their membership.
If you downloaded any antivirus from their site, you too downloaded trojans designed by them.
Download Avast!. It is a free antivirus and make your PC virus free.

th0m0-6

yer... Okay sweet.. Thats why i came on here to find out if it was legit or not :)

i wasn't sure... because i've never seen this before... haha like i said.. im glad i got some advice

cheers (Y)

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
What the hell!!! They have some nerve trying to scam people overseas with a cheap stunt like that, over the phone! This is the first time I read such a thing. Unfortunately, I'm sure they'll fool a few gullible victims.

Makes me wonder though... What if you didn't have a computer? They must be partnered with another website or company to which you have provided your personal informations.

th0m0-6

Well, every person that rings here from overseas all know the last name of our residence... and that is about that they know about us...

strangely enough.. they did ask if I had vista or xp...

and they get you at the start.. "lately has your computer been slow"

just happens to be that things were freezing etc.. lately.

the only thing i've done on the computer was send in a microsoft error report (after itunes froze)

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online