1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Got hat 8 on a 2nd hard drive, wants to format it and use it for another os

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by linuxmav, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linuxmav

linuxmav Thread Starter

Got hat 8 on a 2nd hard drive, wants to format it and use it for another os, dual booted with lilo and has the windows os as default, how can I format the linux hard drive without losing my windows

2. lynch

lynch

Try this:
    Get a win9x bootdisk and make sure it has fdisk on it.Set it aside for now.:)
    Then enter Linux as root.Open a terminal and type:
    /sbin/cfdisk -a /dev/hdx
    The x depends on which connection the 2nd drive is on;just in case:
    primary master=hda
    primary slave=hdb
    secondary master=hdc
    secondary slave=hdd
    Use the up and down keys to choose the partition to delete and the tab key to toggle thru the options.
    After you delete the Linux partitions you want to reboot with the win9x floppy and at the dos prompt type fdisk/mbr
    HTH
    lynch

3. Renshia

Renshia

Greetings,
    I was wondering if this will work if I have win 2000 on my primary hard disk?
    all I want to do is use the second drive for storage.

4. lynch

lynch

If your goal is to reclaim hard drive space for w2k by uninstalling Linux,then it should work.
    lynch

5. linuxmav

linuxmav Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the info, this post is really old and before my unix days; got it all set thx

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!