[SOLVED] Got hat 8 on a 2nd hard drive, wants to format it and use it for another os

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

linuxmav

Got hat 8 on a 2nd hard drive, wants to format it and use it for another os, dual booted with lilo and has the windows os as default, how can I format the linux hard drive without losing my windows

Try this:
Get a win9x bootdisk and make sure it has fdisk on it.Set it aside for now.:)
Then enter Linux as root.Open a terminal and type:
/sbin/cfdisk -a /dev/hdx
The x depends on which connection the 2nd drive is on;just in case:
primary master=hda
primary slave=hdb
secondary master=hdc
secondary slave=hdd
Use the up and down keys to choose the partition to delete and the tab key to toggle thru the options.
After you delete the Linux partitions you want to reboot with the win9x floppy and at the dos prompt type fdisk/mbr
HTH
lynch

Greetings,
I was wondering if this will work if I have win 2000 on my primary hard disk?
all I want to do is use the second drive for storage.

If your goal is to reclaim hard drive space for w2k by uninstalling Linux,then it should work.
lynch

linuxmav

Hey thanks for the info, this post is really old and before my unix days; got it all set thx

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online