1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: GParted Expanding Resizing Partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by webmanoffesto, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto Thread Starter

I have a System partition which is running out of space. Using GParted I took 1GB from the Data partition and made it unallocated. Now, how do I add that to the System partition?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The "System" partition is /dev/sda2? It looks like you can resize it to add the unallocated 1 GB.

3. webmanoffesto

That's not correct
    "/dev/sda1" is the System Drive SYSTEM_DRV
    "/dev/sda2" is the data drive
    "unallocated" is space I "removed" from the data drive which I want to add to the system drive

How can I do that?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To try to avoid getting incorrect or confusing advice you want to be careful of your terminology. You have a partition labelled "Data" but you are using "data" to refer to the partition on which Windows 7 appears to be installed. :)

You can move sda2 1 GB to the right (which puts the unallocated 1 GB between sda1 and sda2) and then resize sda1.

5. DVOM

DVOM

You can only add to a partition with space that is directly contiguous, meaning directly next to the partition.

So, instead of taking 1G from the right end of sda2, you need to take 1G from the left end of sda2. That way the resulting unallocated space will be directly next to sda1.

The difficulty with that is that GParted will have to move the 103G of files that are on sda2, that will probably take at least a couple of hours or more.

And considering the time investment this will take. I'd recommend freeing more than 1G.

Another option is to get rid of the system partition (sda1). To do that you absolutely need 2 things:
    1) You need a Windows 7 DVD to do a startup repair.
    2) sda2 absolutely needs to be a primary partition.

The procedure would be to "hide" sda1 with GParted. Right click on the drive and "manage flags" then check "hide".
    The reason you're "hiding" it is so you can reverse the procedure if needed.
    That will leave your Windows 7 unable to boot, so you then need to boot to your Windows 7 DVD and do a startup repair. That will put all of Win7's boot files on sda2 and change sda2 to the "boot" partition.

6. webmanoffesto

Wow, just slide the slider to the right. That is so cool. It worked. Thanks for the help. Now I love GParted, which I ran off of [name deleted by mod].

I can't wait to try out other cool stuff on that disk.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Note that I simply answered your question. DVOM's advice makes a lot of sense, but there is one possible catch. If you can still boot to the Recovery partition following his advice will probably destroy that.

Regardless, you should make your set of Recovery DVDs if you have not yet done so.

I deleted the name of that other disk. It includes pirated software. GParted is free and available here as well as being a part of some Linux distributions (e.g., Puppy Linux)..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice