1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] GPF when installing Epson printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psustephie, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psustephie

psustephie Thread Starter

I got a new Epson CX5400 Printer/Scanner/Copier for my office at work. You have to install it with the cd, not by plugging in the USB and having it auto-detect. When I try to install the printer itself, I get an error that says:

"Application error: Setup caused a General Protection Fault in module Krnl386.exe at 0003:0BD4"

After I hit ok, all the other programs will install fine, so I have a card maker, photo editor, etc, but no printer to print them on. At the end it says the installation was successful, but there is no printer, and it never prompted me to plug in the USB.

I tried Safe Mode, but the USB wouldn't work. Also tried shutting off some processes, but I didn't want to get too crazy and completely mess up my work computer. I assume the problem is from something else, like an antivirus, running at the same time, but I can't pin down what exactly is going on. Any suggestions?

2. psustephie

Never mind...problem solved! We got 2 different replies from Epson, and one worked

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And the one that worked was????????

4. psustephie

It's almost embarassing, because it was so simple. Despite the several written warnings in the user guide and setup sheet not to do this, all I had to do was use the Add Printers button. I *swear* I tried that with a different Epson printer and had all sorts of problems. Either way, the printer works fine now!

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If it's any consolation, I NEVER follow the setup instructions for USB printers. I plug them in and let them scream and go from there :D

Waterford, PA? Where about is that?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/237237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice