1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: GPU going out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by haunted_toaster, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haunted_toaster

haunted_toaster Thread Starter

Starting about 3 weeks ago, my computer began acting up. A few times it would go to screen saver, then hibernate. I could not get it to come out of hibernation without flipping the power off for several minutes. It went from that to freezing up when I was online for more than 10 or 15 minutes, particularly with videos or facebook. Sometimes it would crash and reboot. Then the graphics went from 32 bit to what looks like 4 bit? And all icons are 4 times larger than before?

I have Microsoft Security Essentials on it and up to date, found nothing. Tried system restore, but it is unable to complete it. Does this sound like the GPU going out?

[​IMG]

Dell XPS 410
    Windows 7 Home Premium (upgraded from XP)
    Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core 2.4GHz CPU
    2 GB DDR2
    500 GB HD Seriel ATA Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce 8300 GS

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could be the video card, yes. Have you check to see if your specific card has a fan on it and i that fan is still working?

3. haunted_toaster

Yes, I took it out, blew the dust off, left the case off and wathced it run fine.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 100% confirmation would be to test the card in another computer and see if it exhibits the same issue, or as an alternative test another card in yours.

5. haunted_toaster

Would that work without instaling new drivers? We have an older Dell my wife uses that I could swap with?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Probably, it would seem that you get display corruption as Windows is loading as your screenshot shows some unusual lines.

The computer would also have to have a PCI-Express slot and not AGP.

7. haunted_toaster

I'll check that out when I go home this afternoon.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice