1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: GPU Heat Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RamMachine, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RamMachine

RamMachine Thread Starter

hey folks! I'm new here so... I'll get to the point,

ok the problem is my GPU is.. or on its way to death lol seriously I tried everything but I still dont get it why does it heats up :confused: I got about 2 fans 1 on the cpu and 1 on the back inside the case its cool, but my GPU temperature is 79 degrees :( since I had guarantee on it I brought it back to the shop and they took every dust out of it and came back home still the same they also put the new paste on it and nothing. now my pc was on idle and its 79 degrees I was playing a game it went over 110 degrees and I started to see pixels on my monitor I knew its from the gpu does this mean I have to get a new GPU and is the AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition the right one to go for ? since I found it for 189.99 euros its a 2GB GPU ? I also forgot my GPU is a Nvidia GT 8800

Ram: 4GB
    Motherboard: AsusTek Benicia 1.01

2. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

What case do you have? Where is it placed? Is it pushed up against a wall that blocks the ventalation?

79 is hot. That card should survive 100 but 79 on idle sounds way to high. My 260 is running at 54 on idle with the case open and dust in there. You've done the right thing by getting them to clean the dust and re-paste it.

3. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I hate having to always ask this, but they are a critical component when using a Pci-e graphics card. What make, model and wattage power supply are you running? No sense getting a new card if your power supply is not up to the job!

4. RamMachine

Hey Guys sorry I didn't included the case its an HP Pavillion m9180 uk-a
    and the Model of the Graphics card is a Nvidia GT8800 and Power supply is a 460 Watt

5. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

460W is almost the minimum you can "safely" run a big card like that on. And that's assuming it's a newish PSU and a good brand. What make/model is your power supply, and how long have you had it?

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I would say that your 460w power supply was pushed to the limit running the GT8800 and should not be trusted to run any new card. The GT8800 requires 26A and a 450W PSU minimum so I'm sure it's more than likely on it's last legs.

7. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Assuming that's correct, Watts = Volts * Amps, so 12*26 = 312W just for that card.

Now bearing in mind PSU's lose something like 10% of their max power each year, and other components in your computer like the motherboard and CPU are demanding power also, you're on the limit for what you can get away with.

Admittedly the chances are that GPU doesn't quite use as much as it's rated, but to be safe you really should have a power supply with more watts available (and specifically more amps on the 12V rail(s))

Edit: Whether this is the cause of your original problem or not, I don't know. But it's certainly something you should be looking into.

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

That's not what it may use, but recommended to be on the safe side. Also bear in mind that a low quality especially OEM power supplies will not come close to their ratted output. Not many people realize how important the power supply is and pay good money for higher end hardware and then cheap out on the power supply. In 17 years I've seen it hundreds of times and most learn the hard way.

9. RamMachine

Thank you guys for all your help, btw today i brought it back to the shop hopefully they will replace it for me.

10. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Make sure they put in a branded power supply, a known/good make. At least 500W and 26+ amps on the 12V line. If they put in a poor power supply (as many of these shops do to save costs) you may end up regretting it.

Scroll down to "brands to look at when buying..."
    http://technopsisblog.com/buying-power-supply-unit-psu-brand/#.UPmkOtfkKzU

General rule, if it's a not-well-known brand, it's rubbish (with very few exceptions).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice