1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Graphic/Video Card upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StarwolfJohnson, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StarwolfJohnson

StarwolfJohnson Thread Starter

Hello, I am planning on buying a graphics/video card and I am a tech tard simply put. I am looking for enlightenment and guidance into buying a new graphics card. My purpose of having a new graphics card is mainly so I can play Sims 3 with higher settings on like Advanced Rendering nothing beyond that really. With a little research I have already done on my own I do understand how to put in a new graphics chip in and that the current chip I have is integrated. Any information will be appreciated, thanks ;)!

My Computer Specifications are as follows-

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows Vista¬ô Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2

System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
    System Model: NC696AA-ABA SR5710Y
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4450e (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 2942MB RAM

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 1336 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 121 MB
    Shared Memory: 1215 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Compaq WF1907 Wide LCD Monitor

2. ajkane

ajkane

First things first, we need to know your PSU specs. Open your computer and post the Wattage and amperage on all the rails.

3. Robsy128

Robsy128

You would need to have a good PSU to power a decent card. If you open up the case, there should also be a long, thing slot near the bottom of the motherboard. Google PCIe (the e here meaning express) slot and compare it with your motherboard. If you have a PCIe slot then you should be able to upgrade to any graphics card you have, really... as long as you have the room in your case :)

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As ajkane has eluded to ... personally I would recommend getting a new PSU, I wouldn't even bother trying to fit a new graphics card and power it with your existing PSU.

Do you have a budget in mind? A good quality PSU are a bit more expensive but this really is an area you shouldn't cut costs on, especially for a GPU upgrade which is one of the biggest contributors to power consumption in a PC.

5. StarwolfJohnson

Hello once again and thank you for your hasty replies.

If I understand correctly I will need to actually open up my case to find out my wattage, amperage, and also to see what type of slot I have? I apologize but as I state not technologically inclined.

I do have a budget in mind, looking for a graphics card for around fifty dollars. On Geeks.com they do have video cards around that price range. Not looking for a major overhaul or vast improvement due to that fact that I will not need it. I am not trying to turn my computer into a gaming computer. At the current state it runs very well and to me at least is not outdated.

Thank you for your help!

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Definitely need to know what your PSU is.

7. ajkane

ajkane

First open the side panel of your computer (you don't need to turn it off or anything). Then look for a metal box either on the top back or the bottom back of your case (the power cable from the wall plugs into this). There should be a label on it. It should say something along the lines of "Maximum Power" and should say something like "300W" or "350W" Then look for the Items "12V" "5V" and "3.3V" Those should have values under those as well like "30A" or "20A" we need to know all of these values in order to assist you. Additionally download cpuz from here and go the "Mainboard" tab and tell us the model number and manufacturer of the motherboard. We can figure out what slots you have as well as some other info from that. Also go back to the CPU tab and tell us the model of your cpu.

EDIT: Instead of going through CPUz and telling us individual things just go the the "Validate" tab and click "Submit" Then post the link it opens in your browser.

EDIT 2: You don't need to put your email in the validation tab.

lolz EDIT 3: Example: http://valid.canardpc.com/2676907

8. StarwolfJohnson

I want to thank you for having the willingness to help me. You are not only aiding me in my query but expanding my knowledge on computers. Before I begin I must say the world inside the chassis is beautiful! I have never opened up a computer case before.

Here is the CPUz report
    http://valid.canardpc.com/2677349

The rest of the information is as follows-
    Output 250w Max
    +12v-14A
    +6v-25A
    +3.3V-18A
    -12V-.8A
    +5VSB-2A
    +5V and +3.3V 165w Max +5V +12V 218w Max

The above information as not specific but in general what does it mean? Meaning if in the future I was to look at another PSU how would I interrupt it and what information do the numbers provide.

Secondly any suggestions on how one would clean the inside if necessary? It is very dusty and what appears to be a fan separate from the PSU has dust on it thickly.

9. StarwolfJohnson

10. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Those PSU are all junk that you listed. Listen, you need to understand that the PSU is the most important part of your computer. Why would you invest more in other parts and not put in one of the best PSU to run it all? The PSU can take out your whole system. It's like buying a Rolls Royce and powering it with a 36HP VW engine.

Something like this would be a good choice.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060

I'm sure others will have more info on these PSU.

11. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Your other question regarding how to clean out the dust in your case is to use a can of compressed air which you can pick up at any computer/Office supply store. Be sure to ground yourself by touching a metal part of your case and to unplug your computer before cleaning.

12. StarwolfJohnson

As of now I know little in the way of PSU, I would do more research into it once I was ready to make the move to buy one. What you have stated about the PSU is correct but from my stand point it does not apply for the following reasons. My current PSU is terrible and at the bottom rung, if I was to upgrade anything would be an improvement. For my purposes I do not need a stellar PSU, If I was building a computer from the ground up I would readily buy a more expensive PSU like the one you provided a link for. The computer I have runs excellent and has no problems, it is that I want to play the Sims 3 on higher graphics for it looks terrible without settings on like advanced rendering. I originally wanted to just buy a graphics card but it looks like my current PSU probably will not be able to handle anything hence why I am now contemplating getting a PSU.

Thank you for telling me how to clean the inside of a computer ;)!

After looking at reviews and doing some research all the PSUs that geeks.com sell are pieces of junk. :(

13. StarwolfJohnson

14. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    The Corsair is definitely the better of the two. Also, for further reference, save this site. Valuable information on computer parts.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/

15. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice