1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Graphics card broken, possibly due to drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by henzy190, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henzy190

henzy190 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I recently installed the NVidia system tools package on my main machine. System Tools unlocks the performance tab in the NVidia control panel - useful for me as I could then manually change graphics card fan speeds to slash 20'C off of my PC's temperature.

The only setting I changed was the fan speed - but after less than a week my graphics card started having problems. Twice the computer screen went totally black - music etc was still running in the background but I couldn't see anything. Then today it died :(

The computer screen doesn't display anything and with the help of some POST beeps I've isolated the problem to be definitely with the card. However, as this happened less than a week after installing new graphics drivers with the system tools stuff, I reckon the drivers could be the cause of the problem.

So, before splashing out on a new card, is there a way that I could remove the graphics drivers to see if that makes the card cooperate? The catch is that I may have to do it without the OS as I can't see a thing!!

I've troubleshooted everything else possible with the GPU and haven't found a fix.

I'm experienced with computers and very experienced at fixing this one... the processor is now the only component not to have broken on the computer in 4 years. Yes, that does mean that I even had to replace fans! o_O (I haven't had much luck nor has my wallet...)

The GPU is an NVidia 8800 GTS, I've never had any problems with it until now.

Thanks in advance :)

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

Welcome to the forums henzy190.

If you are getting post beeps that relate to your video card it is not your drivers, it is the GPU. If you have had to replace that many parts I would be suspect of the power supply (even if you have replaced it).

It would be beneficial if you would post all your computer specs including OS.

3. ritwik_garg

ritwik_garg

Try running your computer without you graphics card i.e. if you have inbuilt graphics. Then you could remove the drivers of your graphics driver and try installing the card from scratch again.

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

If he has a blank screen on boot the GPU is not being seen or recognized by the computer.

You can try to reseat the video card and clean out any dust whiole you are in there.

5. ritwik_garg

ritwik_garg

I meant booting without the graphics card in pci slot

6. black-wolf

black-wolf

Yeah that is fine, we need to know his specs.
    I was refering to the drivers. The computer is using it's generic driver until it gets into windows, so if it is a blank screen on boot the drivers have nothing to do with that.

7. henzy190

henzy190 Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome!

I've reseated every component as well as dusted everything, the GPU just doesn't want to play ball. The PSU could be a problem although I'd be more suspect of the core computer and its design - when it was bought it was bought as a present and at the time I didn't have much computer knowledge at all. When the first major component went (the motherboard) about a year and a half ago I started to get into computers more - and soon realised that my present of a computer only had a CPU fan, not even an exhaust fan! :O

The computer has probably done about 8000 hours, and for 6000 of those the GPU would've been at over 70'C. (I've used Speedfan extensively to get geeky results.) For the record, the motherboard lasted about 4700 hours, 300 hours less than the manufacturer quoted at temperatures of 50'C. Considering that I don't need the heating on in Winter because of the amount of excess heat, it must've been like an oven in there... the system tools install was supposed to be my long term fix for the GPU cooling, it's a shame that it appears to have broken it. x)

Full specs:
    Built in 2008
    Intel Core 2 Duo @2ghz (was factoried to 2.5ghz, soon removed that when I realised there was no extra cooling!)
    2 GB ram
    Asus P5KPL-AM EPU motherboard
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    1TB Samsung hard disk + 500GB Seagate hd for backups
    500W Power Supply (same wattage as it originally came with.)

The computer manufacturer has never been reliable, within a year it had been sent back 3 times due to hard disk failures.

Edit: I have tried booting without the graphics card and it boots up fine, just I can't see anything. x)

8. ritwik_garg

ritwik_garg

Hey buddy if your pc booted without gpu then you have only two problems:
    1. Bad PSU - try your gpu in some other pc if possible
    2. Bad GPU

9. black-wolf

black-wolf

That mobo has integrated graphics. Remove the 8800 and see if it boots with video.

10. henzy190

henzy190 Thread Starter

Unfortunately I can't try the GPU in another computer, everyone I know uses a laptop...

Fortunately I can do a PSU swap using a spare. I swapped the PSU over, same problem still. 3 short beeps, pause, short long short, pause, short - exactly as before. And I still can't see anything with a monitor plugged into the GPU x)

Edit: I used the integrated graphics and could get into the BIOS fine, all is ok without the GPU.

11. ritwik_garg

ritwik_garg

If you are sure that the psu you tried was a good working one then I am sure that the gpu is the problem.
    Also, the combination of beeps you get at POST usually indicate some kind of error. You can find more at your mobo manufacturer's website about this.

12. black-wolf

black-wolf

Bad CPU, you can mark the thread solved.

13. henzy190

henzy190 Thread Starter

The one last thing though is if it's possible to remove the graphics drivers manually as a last ditch attempt to get it going again?

14. black-wolf

black-wolf

The drivers have nothing to do with it until you are in Windows. The mobo boots with generic drivers. So if you cannot get into Windows with the 8800 deleting the drivers makes no difference. Your computer won't boot with the 8800 because either it is dead or the mobo PCIe slot is dead or both.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice