1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Graphics Card Installation Problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Teresevo, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Teresevo

Teresevo Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am having a bit of trouble installing a graphics card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. AGP 238 MB 4x/8x Support to be exact) on my Dimension 4550. My old graphics card is a crummy nVidia GeForce MX400 64 MB. I basically did the typical installation, that is, uninstalled the old drivers for the GeForce, removed it, and attached the ATI. When I booted the machine, my monitor remains asleep (black screen). I'm not sure what exactly I did wrong. But I was wondering if anyone could give me a pointer or two.
    My computer specifications in an attached text file.
    http://homepages.stuy.edu/~plin2/Blah.TXT

Note: I also just updated my BIOs to AO8. Problem persists.

2. Teresevo

Teresevo Thread Starter

And by 258 I mean 128 . . .

3. Compiler

Compiler

The ATI9800 Pro has 2 video out connectors, make sure you use the correct one.

Also, did you plug in a power cable into the card itself? If not, it won't work.

Was the card new?

PS: you can EDIT your posts.

4. Teresevo

Teresevo Thread Starter

Yes, I connected the right ones, I'm sure of it.
    I even compared the setup to the little diagram they showed in the booklet.

The card is not new. It has been used before. However, it worked on the previous PC before my friend gave it to me. I was there to make sure of it.

And yes I know I can edit my posts. But the system does not let you do it once your post is over a day old (Compare the timestamps).

5. Compiler

Compiler

I didnt know about that... editing of posts. ;)

hmmm.. what is the wattage of the PSU? 9800Pro needs at least a 300watter.

It would be sad if the video card died when it got to your PC...

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Make sure the card is seated properly. They are a tight fit and require a lot of force to have them properly "plugged in."

7. Teresevo

Teresevo Thread Starter

The video card is on right (The Dimension slot lock cannot lock if all PCI cards and the AGP card is not fastened correctly. As for the power supply; yes it only has 250. But it ran on a computer that uses 250 Watts as well (It was even older than what I have right now).

And yes, it would be sad if it died in my computer. But that is the only conclusion I can come up with right now.

8. Compiler

Compiler

250watts... but that doesn't mean much. A 500watt PSU is rarely actually a true 500watt PSU. Antec and a few others make HIGH end ones that are almost 500watts in the real world. But you can spend $25~60 on a no-name brand (such as bestBuy's dynex-whatever brand and other raidmax like junk) that say "450watts" but in the real world, have 250~300watts of max power.

Try another PSU... it may work... borrow your friend's (you may not need to install it all the way, just enough to plug in the powerleads to the mobo and drives.

Another test you can try. UNPLUG the power cables to ALL drives (HD / CD / floppy) and the IDE cables too (or you can fry the IDE controllers) and see if your display fires up. Of course make sure your power cable is connected to the ATI9800.

9. Teresevo

Teresevo Thread Starter

I already tried that (Unplugging all unused hardware that is) and that still didn't work. Hence I concluded that it was not a problem of power. Not sure if that was a premature conclusion or not but yea. I think I'll go try to install another PSU first. Although I honestly have no real experience in doing so. Let's hope I don't fry anything . . .

10. Compiler

Compiler

Ground yourself (touch the side of PSU while PC is off) then unplug power cord from back.

if there is ROOM, you can take the spare/other PSU and put it on top, there are only 3 things we are interested in powering up. But remember, don't power up a board with the drives connected with their data cables.

Okay.. there are 2 sets of POWER cables coming from the PSU to the mobo. One is a thick bundle of 24 wires and it has a long rectangle connector. The clip on the side will release it from the board. Then there is a 4-wire/4pin (square) of black & yellow (usually) that also connects to the board, usually near the CPU. Remove that.

With the spare PSU, you will plug in these 2 sets of cables into the mobo. If they don't fit for some reason (ie: special Dell connector) then abort. It will require a little bit of force, but otherwise these connectors pop in easily. The latches on the connectors show which way they go, but they are keyed to fit one way. Then plug in a drive connector to the video card. Plug in the power cord tothe PSU... press the powerbutton on the PC... see if the 9800Pro lives.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice