1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Graphics card malfunctioning?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Automaton539, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Automaton539

Automaton539 Thread Starter

Ok, so here's my problem... Every so often, and especially it seems, so far, when i turn on my computer, and also generically at other times, my monitor suddenly says no signal and I start getting a strange noise from the fans on my gpu. I have checked that it is the fans on the gpu, as opposed to somewhere else, and was wondering what the potential problem is because this isn't something I have come across before and all the help i can find on google is just talking about the noise, not making any mention what so ever about the image loss of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help. Especially if it helps :)

2. replay

replay

is the video cards fan clean? any dust in it? could be the fan is at the end of its life and u need to replace the fan(s)

3. Automaton539

I'm pretty sure it is, and it had better not be coming to the end of it's life because it's still pretty new.

4. replay

replay

if its pretty new........... warranty!!!

5. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Listing all your computers hardware including make, model and wattage of power supply would help us assist you better.

6. Automaton539

Once I get back to my desktop I can do that for you as the info in my profile is old. I will check to see if it's just dirt first though. And it did occur to me that maybe it might be a power issue, I think I might be near my limit with the new GFX card. Old one barely needed any but this one plugs into the psu directly so it takes a lot more to run.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    You say the graphics card is fairly new, so I am assuming you have upgraded? If that is the case then the power supply is certainly a possible culprit for the problem if you didn't upgrade that aswell. So, as said, if you can provide more information about your whole system we can advise better :)

Make and model if its a big brand name like HP, Dell, Acer etc.

Otherwise make and model of Graphics Card, motherboard, CPU, power supply etc.

8. Automaton539

About all I can say at present, before I can get home and get the exact spec, is that it's an nvidea 660ti, i3 2100 3.1 processor and a 650w Psu.

9. Automaton539

Oh, and it's homemade.

10. Automaton539

Ok, here you go guys, That's what i have and I'm using a 650w PSU. (Though i actually have 2x4gb RAM but limited by XP) Sorry it took so long)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3563 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 49999 MB, Free - 11259 MB; D: Total - 426930 MB, Free - 174520 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., B75M-D3V, x.x, To be filled by O.E.M.
    Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 5.2, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

11. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

"650W PSU" is meaningless. There are so many companies like WinPower and ColorsIT that push out these cheaply made "junk" power supplies that rarely do the power they say, and may fail at under half the rated power. Anybody can claim something, but unless you can trust what they say then it doesn't mean anything.

What brand/make/model is the power supply?

12. Automaton539

13. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

lol well look at the reviews on that page. It isn't a known brand, meaning quality is questionable at best. A good 600W psu should power your card easily, yet there's somebody on that website who tried to run a GTX460 and it exploded on them.

You should really replace that PSU ASAP with a branded one like CoolerMaster, Corsair, Antec etc etc. Expect to pay £50-£70 for one. £25 for the one you have should have set off alarm bells(!)

14. Automaton539

To be fair, going on them dates, the only review on there when I got it was the one that said it was good. And it's on offer at the mo, it's usually £30 and since it's an overclock make I figured it would be good since it has a good rep in general.

15. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

£30 is still less than half what I'd expect to pay for a branded 600W PSU. Most people will be happy with it because they won't be powering huge graphic cards off it, and if it's rated 600W but can only do 300W most people won't notice. It's only when you start plugging in high-powered devices you get problems.

I paid £50 for mine USED!

Okay, let us know if you need any help getting another power supply.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice