1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Graphics Card Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trataku, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trataku

Trataku Thread Starter

I recently bought a Nvidia GTX 660Ti to replace my older 560Ti. However, the card is having some major issues. The moment I had it installed and launched a game, I was getting noticeable lines running down the screen every time I looked at a black area or cut-scene, and the card would make a high pitched squeal-like noise. I then decided to download driver cleaner to completely get rid of previous ATi and Nvidia driver that may have been present on my PC. This stopped the high-pitched squeal and lines in some games but they are still present in others. I then tried to turn on adaptive v-sync as suggested by another forum but to no success, the lines and squealing are still there on some games. Can anyone help me?

PC Specs:
    Intel i7 2600k 3.2ghz
    8GB RAM
    Corsair GS 700W PSU
    Windows 7

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are the power cables securely connected to the graphics card? I unplug and plug them back in.

The problem will be down to a faulty graphics card or a power issue. If possible test the card in another computer and if it exhibits the same problem then it needs to be replace --- new doesn't mean it's not simply faulty.

You can also check to see if there's any compatibility problems with your motherboard, occasionally that can happen. Also post the complete specs of you computer, you left out the motherboard, you can use the TSG System Utility to gather that info and you can then add it to your System Specs in your profile.

3. Trataku

Trataku Thread Starter

I checked the power cables and they all seem to be secured. I also checked to make sure the card itself is properly secured. I suspected a faulty card but the card only seems to do this on specific games after cleaning some ATi drivers off my PC. Sorry about forgetting the motherboard, I typed that question in a hurry.

Here's my full specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600S CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8174 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 942298 MB, Free - 614235 MB; D: Total - 11467 MB, Free - 1401 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AC2

4. dai

dai

with the 560ti you need a 750w psu

with corsair only tx,hx,ax models

do you have a friend that will try the card in their computer

5. Trataku

Trataku Thread Starter

It's not the power supply because my 560Ti, which takes more power than the 660Ti, never had any of these problems.

I have a friend that will try the card but I'm highly considering sending the card back for a refund or getting a new one.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. Trataku

Trataku Thread Starter

I tested the 660Ti in another game and got an interesting result. Again, it made the horizontal lines moving down my screen, and the high pitched noise. But occasionally the noise would get louder and the horizontal lines would swap directions and move up for a second, then suddenly move back down.

I also tested my 560Ti again and it is not showing any of the same results as the 660. It showed smooth game-play, no noises, and no visible horizontal lines.

I'm guessing my 660Ti is a faulty card?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, I do believe it is faulty.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice