1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: graphics card to suit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lindsay1959, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lindsay1959

lindsay1959 Thread Starter

need advice on what graphics card and memory for a 1.79 ghz presario using XP sp2 hello want to update my graphics cards for digital art ,games ect
    and I have compaq pressario AN1710SR with 1 gb of memory which I want to increse to 2gb which is a seperate question but anyway the question I have what cards would be compatable the one I have is ATI redeonXpress200 series intergrated with the machine would 9000 series be ok what would work the slots are pci pci express x16 graphics slot

seeing that it is only a 1.8 ghz speed I sort of want to get out of it cheaply as possible and I dont know if a 512 mb card would overload the system or just get a 256 mb the one intergrated with the stem is 128 mb

any help greatly appeciated
    thanks lindsay1959:)

2. Compiler

Compiler

Theres a chance you can upgrade the CPU, it will help a bit. But for modern gaming, its a big problem.

Even todays cheap $40 video cards have 512mb of RAM and video memory on video cards do not overload the computer themselves. The video memory is for holding 3D gaming images.

Here is your computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1830505&lang=en

It should have a standard (for HPAQ) a 300watt PSU. Buying a 9600GT or better video card will require a PSU upgrade. Same with an ATI 4600+ series video card. You'll need a 450~550w PSU for most video cards. When you upgrade to a new PC in the future, you can use the new PSU & GPU on the new computer.

Your computer should support an AMD X2 3800~4400 (socket 939) would help quite a bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=47 The AMD at the bottom is the closest thing to your CPU.

3. lindsay1959

thankyou for the infomation

what I meant for the overloading the system is when I put in add in cards the pc they can't draw more than 2 amps I think and I wasnt sure if a graphics card of 512 mb would do that , and I was wondering what graphic card series,would be compatible as work with this pc the SR1710AN on the cheap side even thinking of the used variety as well seeing I think it would be better to invest in a new machine seeing that I cant really develop this one re motherboard ect tthat you told mr about

so I think theres still a heap for me to learn , about all this

thanks for the info (y)

4. lindsay1959

what is a PSU

5. Compiler

Compiler

Power Supply Unit... it powers your computer. You know about amps, but not PSU? The video card uses more than 2 amps... the memory isn't so much the issue as the GPU itself.

If you don't replace/upgrade the PSU, you cannot install a decent video card. Along the lines of a 8500GT or 4350 will work with a 300w CPU safely, usually.

As stated... what you buy today, can be used in a new computer in the future.

6. lindsay1959

the idea was this in the service book with the pc about overloading it ,I have never done this before so I am wary of what I do , I didnt know about a psu the acronym or know anything from experience with adding graphic cards or any to a pc

WARNING: Do not overload the system by installing add-in cards that draw excessive current. The system is designed to provide 2 amps (average) of +5 V power for each board/card in the computer. The total +5 V current draw in a fully loaded system (one with all add-in card slots filled) must not exceed the total number of slots multiplied by 2 amps.
    A Phillips screwdriver is needed to remove, replace,

7. Compiler

Compiler

Video cards eat 12volts. Hence, the reason you need a good PSU to power good / high performance video cards.

Here is an example of a PSU label:
    [​IMG]

Previous post about performance and video card choices apply. Especially #2.

Its an early PCIe type system. If you're not looking at heavy or normal gaming - perhaps a ATI 4350 will do? No PSU upgrade is required.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/866338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice