1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Graphics Card Turns Off At Windows Logon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pedrof7, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pedrof7

Pedrof7 Thread Starter

Hi guys. Im having trouble with my Geforce 4 440MX, in that it basically turns itself off/the monitor off, when Windows gets to the logon screen. I can still boot up in Safe Mode, but when I install/uninstall/reinstall the latest/oldest/best drivers, it makes no difference.

The problem began when I took the card out to clean the fan on it, as it was making a noise similar to a foghorn. That sorted, I popped it back in, no noise, but no logon either. The card still loads and runs fine in Fedora 1 which is also installed, and will show the Windows startup screen right up until it switches into the logon stage. Ive tried looking about in the BIOS and resetting all the options to the fail-safe and optimised defaults to no avail. I even removed the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, as I once had a similar problem wherein the motherboard (with built in video), refused to recognise the card as the primary adapter and was told that would solve the problem, which it did. But not this time.

Im pretty sure i didnt damage the card in any way while dusting it and lubricating the connection, not that I can see that making a difference to the Windows logon and none to the Linux one.

Its almost as if the card is trying to display a resolution or at a frequency too high for my monitor to display, and it simply powers off instead. Ive tried using other monitors, but I dont have any which could be classed as new and the max settings for the best is 1152xwhatevergoeshere, at 75Hz. And I didnt alter anything before removing the card to clean it. Is there any way to check the currently installed driver's settings, eg resolution and frequency via a file?

Ive tried the 44.03, 45.23 and 61.77 drivers from NVidia, and was originally running the 45.03 set. My motherboard is a Gigabyte G6OXT-A, 256MB od SD100 RAM and Im running Win2K Pro.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Since you said you could get into safe mode....go that route and set it to 16 colors (not 16 bit) then restart. It should start in normal mode but look crappy. Then try the new drivers.

3. Pedrof7

Pedrof7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply AcaCandy, but it didnt solve the problem. I'd already tried that with all the aforementioned drivers, but I thought I would give it another shot anyway. Still no success, but now the screen gets very distored and the monitor writes "value out of range" across the screen when Windows boots past the part where it says "press F8 for more options" and then turns itself off.

4. ~Candy~

In safe mode will it allow you to lower the hz to say, maybe 60? I'm not sure if safe mode will allow that kind of change though.

Also, since you have 2K, did you try starting with the last good known configuration?

5. Pedrof7

Pedrof7 Thread Starter

Yeah I tried the last known good configuration, but the same thing happened. It wont allow me to change the frequency in safe mode, which is a real pain.

6. ~Candy~

In safe mode will it allow you to remove the display adapter? And without rebooting, do a refresh hardware?

7. Pedrof7

Pedrof7 Thread Starter

Well I dont really know what you mean by "Remove the display adapter". I can uninstall the driver which will the device from device manager, and then scan for hardware changes whic will detect it, but ultimately lead to the same installation process.

Ive also found that Safe Mode With Networking is useful for about 2 minutes before something stops the connection. This post was longer, but Im having to flick between Fedora and Windows for type ups.

8. ~Candy~

When you allow it to scan, you aren't allowing Windows to find the drivers right? You are choosing 'have disk' and feeding the drivers that way? If the card isn't AGP, did you put it back in the same slot?

9. Pedrof7

Pedrof7 Thread Starter

I used Have Disk for the earlier drivers, and ran the exe for the new ones. The card is AGP.

10. ~Candy~

Wow, then I'm stumped :(

It almost has to be a driver or IRQ issue if it works in safe mode.

2K is supposed to play with IRQs nicer than 98, but.......... :confused:

11. Pedrof7

Pedrof7 Thread Starter

Yeah, its got me too. I dont even know why it suddenly decided to switch modes which is what I think its done. I would say its a poorly fitted card, but its runs linux fine. I guess tomorrow Ill crack out the old S3 card and see if it works.

Thanks for the help AcaCandy.

12. Pedrof7

Pedrof7 Thread Starter

Well.....here's a bit of irony for you. After typing my above post, I thought I might as well take the card out and shuffle it around a bit in the slot, and hey presto, it works. Quite why it works now and not then is beyond me, but it does so Im happy.

So again, thanks for the help. I suppose sometimes the correct answer is the simple (and obvious) one.

13. ~Candy~

Yeah, I usually keep an old PCI card around for testing as well. That's the way I had to reset an old Gateway 2000 monitor that wouldn't play nice with a new card.

Lol, good news. We both were typing at the same time. Still kind of strange as Linux was happy with it......voodoo is what I call it.

I had a P4 2.8 chip today that wouldn't work in 2 boards. Figured it was the chip as I put a 2.4 in and it worked in both boards. Took it to Fry's and it worked there :eek:

I hate computers sometimes :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice