1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fatt, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fatt

Fatt Thread Starter

Well, to start off im totally useless with computer software like graphics cards etc so i dont know which ones are good and which arnt. I mostly use my PC for gaming, i am currently playing Age of Conan which is a game which requires very high system requirments and currently im only getting 8-10 FPS in most areas of the game, 15 Max on the lowest settings. I used to play world of warcraft and i used to get 30 FPS minimum in most areas with high settings enabled.

I am currently using a 256mb NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS graphics card which came with the computer, the only things i use my computer for is browsing the net, playing games and using chat programs, i dont use it for watching movies or anything so i want to buy a graphics card which will enable me to have atleast 30+ fps on age of conan in all areas on the highest settings.

Can anyone make any recommendations on which graphic cards i should be looking at?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you post the full specs of your computer? We'll need to know if you have a standard case and what kind of power supply you have.

3. Fatt

Fatt Thread Starter

ADVENT T9509 RECON
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600, 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB Cache, Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium, 2048MB RAM Memory, 320GB Hard Drive, DVD Re-Writer Drive, 256MB NVidia GeForce 8300 GS, 7-In-1 Media Card Reader, 6 USB Connections

Turned out i got the video card wrong, its actually 256mb :$, sorry about that, edited my original post.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're going to need to open up the computer and look at the label on the power supply to see what the brand and wattage is. The higher end video cards need a lot more power then a basic 8300GS.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. Fatt

Fatt Thread Starter

On the label it says : OUTPUT POWER: 350W,(+12V,+5v&3.3V TOTAL)

That seems to be the only relevant thing on there for me, but if you need something else from there just say.

Doesnt matter about price, would prefer the cheapest one which would meet the standards which i set on the original post.

7. Cazio

Cazio

In order to run a modern-day, high-power graphics card, you're going to need a larger power supply.

That being said, your best choice for a card would either be the ATi 4850 or 4870, depending on how much you want to spend.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd be looking at the Radeon HD 4850, its probably one of the best deals at the moment.

And you will also need a quality brand name 450 watt or better power supply to go with it.

9. Fatt

Fatt Thread Starter

How much would all of that cost?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you live in the U.S. or else where?

11. Fatt

Fatt Thread Starter

UK, but i know £1 is roughly $2 so doesnt matter which currency you say :p

And also, would the Radeon HD4850 be the Sapphire one or the ATI one?

12. Cazio

Cazio

13. Fatt

Fatt Thread Starter

ok thanks for all the help cazio + triple6, the prices are very affordable for me :)

14. Compiler

Compiler

You'll be able to PLAY any game in MAX res like 1920x1200 in MAX details with the 4850 card. You will need to have the PSU... and make sure its not a cheap one.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice